Removing Steering Wheel

MKIIITrbo89

Mar 31, 2005
West Chester PA
My black steering column piece above the ignition key was damaged when my car was broken into. To remove it the black center console piece needs to come out. Did not know whether I could take it off without removing the steering wheel. Anyone know. If I need to remove the steering wheel, which im guessing I will, how do you do it? Do I need any kind of special tool?

oneandgone

40R 6 SPD SC3
Multiple points...The steering column collar (trim around the column) can be removed without removing anything else.

I'm not sure what console peice you're referring to...maybe the radio/shifter bezel? It does not have to be removed.

To remove the wheel, should you ever have to...Just remove the airbag if the car is 90+ by loosening the 4 screws on the backside, then unplug. On the 87-89 Just pop off the center peice. After that there's a big 19mm? nut that must be removed. Typically the wheel can then be pulled off by hand. Just don't smack youself in the face with it!

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
On the 87-89 Just pop off the center peice

On 86.5-89 cars the centre piece is held on by a single screw at the bottom, then it pops off. Loosen the nut, but leave it on enough so if it does fly off it doesn't smack you in the head. Or, use a steering wheel puller.

MKIIITrbo89

Mar 31, 2005
West Chester PA
Thanks for the help everyone, I'll give it a try this afternoon. The piece I am referring to since my original post might not have been clear is the black plastic piece which wraps around the ignition hole. It is cracked directly above the hole. The entire piece which wraps around the steering column seems to have an upper and lower half which snaps together.