newly rebuilt engine will not start ?????

suprarcr89

The Juggernaut has my old
ok heres the rundown. I rebuilt the 7mgte in my friends 89 supra. I took the unassembled engine to the machine shop to prep the block for new rings and bearings and metal headgasket, they measured and miced and ordered new clevitte 77 bearings, ordered and installed rings on pistons, rebuilt the head. I reassembled the engine and did everything 100% correct by the tsrm. it has metal headgasket with arp head studs torqued to 85 ftlbs. we got the engine in the car and went to start it and nothing will just turnover and over. weve got good oil pressure while shes turning over. we have fuel, spark. I checked the ignitor, cps, coilpacks. I even sprayed starter fluid in her to get any kind of response and nothing. I timed her with the crank on 0 and cams straight up with the cam gear marks inline with the marks on the back timing cover..I have worked on my and friends supras for going on 3 yrs now and never a problem like this. ive did turbo swaps, head gaskets you name it ive done it. if anyone has experienced this let me know. thanks in advance......

shes fixed read my last post

Last edited:

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
well a no start is either not enough fuel or the spark is not happening in the plug (read bad ignition wires)

even if the ignition is up to snuff. Are you sure that the CPS is at 10 degrees BTDC???

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
or the main relay ;)
not sure if that would actually quit spark but i did that just yesterday on a new rebuild lol.. had the coils unplugged to get up oil pressure, plugged it in, tried to start it.. all i got was cranking lol
forgot the main relay, it wasn't even present.. doh! lol

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Make completely sure that the CPS is installed correctly. If that thing is off by a lot, it won't even let you start it. You should at least get a slight sputter though. It could be the EFI fuse like someone suggested though.

suprra girl: I love your sig pic.

suprarcr89

my thing is when the engine is turning over i can check to see if number one is firing via timing light and put it on the crank and it says 10 degrees????? so she should be firing correctly... all my fuses are fine. and i sprayed starter fluid in the throttle body and i didnt get anything....

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
have you checked for spark? I had a bad ECU when I bought my car after a fresh rebuild. They couldn't get it to crank, and thats what it was

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
heh, i had the same problem. i checked all my fuses, all appeared to be fine. check them with a multimeter on continuity check. i checked my 7.5 IGN fuse (ignition fuse) - drivers kick panel in the back- and it looked fine, but i checked it w/ my multimeter and it was blown. i replaced it and it fired right up!

-shaeff

suprarcr89

grant is that the things that go around the things that slides up and down around the things. yep i got em on :p

well boys shes running excellent. a slight overlook on my part cam gear... but shes running with great compression on all six cylinders. thanks everyone

Jetfixr757

Sleeper
Mar 30, 2005
Cocoa, Florida
Crack a fuel line down under the intake plenum where it comes from the tank to check for fuel, it should spray during crank like a super soaker water gun. It sounds to me you have no fuel.
William 89T

oneandgone

40R 6 SPD SC3
suprarcr89 said:
grant is that the things that go around the things that slides up and down around the things. yep i got em on :p

well boys shes running excellent. a slight overlook on my part cam gear... but shes running with great compression on all six cylinders. thanks everyone

Ya, those things! Glad to hear you didn't forget them! Also, glad to hear it's running well!!

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
im willing to bet the CPS is off by any number of teeth. i installed mine on the engine stand. i lined up the crank and cams. then i aligned the punch mark of the CPS with the notch on the housing. then, i rotated as i installed it. and everything SEEMED to be dead on..

however, the car would not start for the life of it... or me. i finally got it started by pushing the CPS to max adjustment and it was running like 30* ATDC retarded. so it was like off a whole tooth. and i SWORE i put it in correctly.

double check that ish.