HID retrofit.

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
Hey guys, many of you know about my HID abitions...

after my brother put in his 6000K HID's .....I got the bug.

Now, I am lookiing to get some new housings....and retrofit some Valeo or Bosch projector D2R ( I believe thats the right port) housings into a regular H4 housing like the Hella or Raybrig.

I have a thread on Hidplanet.com about this. My brother is going to help me with the wiring.

The BIGGEST hurdle is the single lamp/bulb set up...being that most cars with HID's from the factory come with halogen High beams and HID low beams....whereas some of us that retrofit have to have HID High/low beams.....

And some people with inset headlamps cant aim the beam ( Like civics or integras and such)....they are stuck with what they get ( or ghetto rigged)....whereas we ( the pop up headlight crew) have the scew adjustments for aiming the lenses......thats a HUGE plus!

I am least worried about wires burning up....I will explain that later....

I will keep you guys posted.

-Jonathan Mann

Keep in mind these are a sample picture of the Valeo D2S :
is.php

is.php

is.php

macsupra76

May 17, 2005
Calgary AB
That sounds great keep us updated, i always wanted true hid in the supra, i thought i could wire it by myself, i have a pretty good idea on the setup , put have not put it into practice.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
This is going to be a lot simpler than you think.

Losing your highbeams would not be a real problem from what I hear - AFAIK the HID lowbeams allow you to see better than your current Halogen high beams anyhow, with the exception of overhead signs that aren't self lit.

If you can afford it, pick up bulbs that use a movable metal shield to give you low / high settings - IIRC it's about an extra $100.

I rather doubt the wiring will be a problem, HIDs use less current than your existing Halogens.

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
well upon startup HID's suck 3 times the current for about 5 seconds...this is when the "melting of the wires" starts....but I have NEVER seen that particular even happen in real life...only read it on the gayernet. :crazy1:

I emaild a rep at HID planet...here is the question:

I recently posted on the forum, I have a 1987 supra turbo.
> I currently use H4 housings and cheapo ebay blue bulbs LOL.
>
> I am looking to get some Raybrig housings pretty soon as well...
> but what Bi Xenon( high and low beam out of one bulb) kit would bolt up to
> my single H4 set up?
>
> I am sort of confused....should I just hack a cheap set of headlamps apart
> and fuze some Valeo/Bosch projectors in and call it a day?
>
> I am in the market right now, so the sooner the better!
>
> regaurds,
> Jonathan Mann
> (Simann on hidplanet forums)

Here is his reply:
Jonathan,

Sounds like the best route is to use aftermarket clear headlights and fit
HID projectors inside them. Only concern would be the clearance behind the
headlights since they are flip up style headlights I think.

I think we have enough clearance in the back of our headlamps to house some projector units....if not, i will just hack away at some members...LOL

I am in the means of switching jobs, so I had to drop the Greddy bumper from supraofdoom....but i should get the HID thing going fairly soon.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
We have the room, I've seen them mounted in the Supra already. Actually, he wrote up a nice article on how to put them in, it's located here:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2419

As for the initial power requirement, I think the gayernet is incorrect in this case. As I understand it, the initial blast to heat up the bulb is provided by some capacitors stored in the ballast - so it sucks average power for a short period, then fires it all out at once to heat up the bulb.

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
KeithH said:
The wires that come on the Hella ballasts are thinner than our stock wiring. FYI

But our stock wires are 13+ years old.....I think that may make a difference.....the wires that come with the kit might be of a higher quality...or just better in build quality.

food for thought...

-Jonathan

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
don't be worried about the wiring dude... its simple.

Personally, I wouldn't use the stock wiring... I would hook the stock wiring upto a relay, then hook the relay upto the battery and hid's directly so when you hitt he lights, the relay clicks over giving the HID ballast power directy from the battery.

WeDgE

Buh-bye 7M...
Jan 2, 2006
Alberta
My Kaixen Double Type (Hi/Lo) kit just arrived...now to hunt for some Hella e-code housings...