wideband error with open wastegate?

90T04

Mar 30, 2005
Tucson, AZ
www.azsupras.com
I have installed a wideband o2 sensor in the downpipe right after the turbo. I have a custom turbo setup with an external wastegate opening to the atmosphere.

My question is this: How much is it going to throw off the readings when that extra exhaust is dumped? Will it still read accurately sampling a smaller volume of the same A/F ratio gas? Or does it need to sample everything that comes out of the engine to calculate the raito?

The reason I am concerned is because while non WOT driving, the a/f ratio as displayed by the Zietronics ZT-2 is perfect, right around 14.7:1. Then when in WOT, my mixture richens to 10.5:1. I am trying to lean it out to around 11.8. but it seems that no amount of leaning with the MAFT and the E-Manage is doing any changes.

I just want to be sure that when I am changing settings on the MAFT, if the A/F ratio really is leaning out, but my wideband is just getting a bad reading, that I dont blow something up.

Thanks for any advise in advance.

Ryan

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
I've got an open wastegate on mine and the wideband is very responsive to changes that I make at WOT. If 10.5 is bottomed out on your wideband, it may take pulling quite a bit of fuel to get it back "on the chart". Take it to a dyno and compare your wideband to thiers if you aren't convinced of the accuracy of yours.

90T04

Mar 30, 2005
Tucson, AZ
www.azsupras.com
I think you may be right, it may just be "off the chart." I just cant imagine it being that freakin rich. They're only 550's, and I have the MAFT setup for stock 440's just to get it to lean out a bit. And you would think there would be some black smoke out the tailpipe, but who knows. Ill have to hit up the dyno.

Thanks for the advise.