LSD question

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
Lately I have noticed that my rear tires have worn down very fast. It's not from burnouts because I don't do those. Both tires have worn evenly and across all the tread. Everything seems normal except for the fact that they are about 10-15 thousand miles premature. I was wondering, is it possible for the differential to freeze, or nearly completely freeze, to the point that the wheels would basically be sharing a common axle? Yesterday I noticed my LSD was leaking fluid, and quite a bit it would seem. Can a differential freeze up? It doesn't seem likely, but it seems like a logical explaination for the tire wear.

ahmedootie

Camel Jockey
May 16, 2005
Vernon Hills, IL
if your differential froze, ur tires would b locked up, and it would b as if u were driving with ur ebrake up all day...probably not tha reason imo

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
If the LSD is locked up try doing a full lock slow turn in a car park you'll hear the inside tire skipping.

Another thing to look at is the tire wear rating on the sidewall they may have changed to a softer rubber since the last set.

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
My front tires are not wearing like the rears and I bought all four at once. Usually it's the fronts that wear faster. I bought the tires back in November and I haven't put that many miles on them since then.

ahmedootie

Camel Jockey
May 16, 2005
Vernon Hills, IL
go to NTB(if ur a US res) and hav them check it out, thats tha easiest way, they'll tell u exactly wassup and y its doin wut its doin...and if u bought tha atires from them, they'll prolly fix wutever it is thats wrong for dirt cheap
peace

G

gotboost$

do a small burn out maybe 5 seconds worth. Check the marks.

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
Between having a boost leak, sticky tires, and an auto I would be lucky to get wheel hop in the rain, much less a burnout right now.

We don't have a NTB that I know of in California.

Last edited:

Allan_MA70

Banned
May 1, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
MA70's chew rear tires you may not notice wheels sliping because of the LSD and the tires will wear faster when cornering at any time because of the LSD!

fix your oil leak!

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
Allan_MA70 said:
MA70's chew rear tires you may not notice wheels sliping because of the LSD and the tires will wear faster when cornering at any time because of the LSD!

fix your oil leak!

Totally !!! Dude !! I have experienced the same thing 2x. The set of tires that came on it were a harder compound. They held the corners fair, but lasted 20k miles.

I went to some Kuhmos Performance tires, with a softer compound. They wore out in 10k miles, but they stick like glue. At $100 a tire (245's x 50 x 16), per year, I feel much safer on those fast mtn. roads.

Also, they fronts have 15k and still looking great.