engine and trans. removal

macsupra76

May 17, 2005
Calgary AB
I have seen pics of this done, engine removal with transmission attached, what i'm wondering is , if thats easier then removing seperatly ? and if any of the two methods are faster or safer? :dunno:

Bo0sTADiKT

HGHSBT7M
Apr 1, 2005
Okinawa, Japan
I remember when i took my tranny and engine the tranny gave it that "natural" angle you need to get it outta there. Im my opinion its a lot easier to do it with the tranny attached. HTH

Clay

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
It's all a matter of opinion. I personally like to remove the head solo, then the block and tranny together. The head has to come off eventually, and I like the extra clearance gained by removing the head first. The block, head and tranny all together can be a beast to get out. Probably not the quickest method but the safest IMO.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i find it super easy to pull the motor/tranny as a combo, taking off only the fan (for clearance) and wires/pipes/hoses/cables. pops right out!

-shaeff

Mr.SelfDestruct

I build planes... yeah...
May 27, 2005
everett, WA
I havent pulled the engine out of my car yet, but on my friends roku, we tried them seperatly, and when I was pulling the tranny, I was having trouble pulling it out(no sick jokes, please) and, me not knowing how long the input shaft was, I accidentally dropped it on my chest, not a good experiance, but that was in a one-car garage with about two feet of clearence on each side of the car, so it also depends on the working conditions, we were also stupid inexperianced teenagers, too, though

macsupra76

May 17, 2005
Calgary AB
Thanks for the input guys, i might try to pull the tranny/engine as a combo, i think shaeff has a good point in taking the fan off, i think that will make it easier. thanks agien guys

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Stretch said:
Just for a bit extra clearance take out the radiator aswell.
eric

yeah, i pulled off the fan, and the radiator too, for good measure. lots of clearance.

-shaeff

ahmedootie

Camel Jockey
May 16, 2005
Vernon Hills, IL
Bishop92t said:
It's all a matter of opinion. I personally like to remove the head solo, then the block and tranny together. The head has to come off eventually, and I like the extra clearance gained by removing the head first. The block, head and tranny all together can be a beast to get out. Probably not the quickest method but the safest IMO.

why does the head need to come off? If it is because of the wiring harness, u can d/c it from behind tha glove box...i believe it has been proven that tha best way 2 take it out is w/ tha tranny bolted on 2 it...at least thats how its been workin for me

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
nothing is proven to be the easiest method. personally, i like to pull the motor with the tranny because i HATE working under the car. so, if i can keep working under the car to a minimum, thats what i will do. other wise ill have to be under there breaking my back wrestleing with the tranny and lining up the input shaft on the tranny and i just dont like it.

its all a matter of personal preference.

89mkthree

supies ignore irish luck!
Apr 12, 2005
near chi town
leave the trans on. but i would take off the mani's fist unless your working on the turbo ( definatly the DP has to go). the turbo manifold is hard to remove unless you have a lift IMO. the fan and radiator need to go definatly. if you leave the head on slide the engine forward a little first then tip it up and out. have fun :drink1:

Lurch

You rang?
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxvegas
I pulled mine head, block, and tranny, just followed the TSRM. Removed radiator and fan.

Took me forever, but not difficult really. I can see how doing it a second go around would take about 10% of the effort and time of the first.

Whoops, just realized I had been searching and inadvertently resurrected this. My bad.

Last edited: