plans on painting car

88tsupra

ok so my car is maroon with a bunch of little dents and shit everywhere. i want to paint it black. i plan on sanding the car down, fixing the dents and everything, then go over the car with a flat back primer. well i wanted to know if they have a primer that comes in a spray can. once that gets done and i have enough money to get it sprayed with real paint i'll take it to the shop and have them do it.

question:
1. can someone give me some companys and sell primer that comes in a can (i think duplicolor has em but not sure)
2. has anyone else done it this way?
3.any HELPFUL info appreciated

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
Spray can primers suck.
They can NOT fill as you would need it to.
They may NOT be compatible with real urethane paint and it may lift (I seen it happen before).
They will shrink because they harden by shrinking (solvents evaporating), while real primer harden because they get mixed with hardener.
To fix dents, you need to use fill primer after straightening out the metal and using filler.

There is NO way I would ever use duplicolor primer on a complete car refinish.
To me that is like throwing garbage at your car and then if anyone cares to fix it they either have to spend the time to sand it off use lacquer thinner and wipe it off.

I use the best & proven products for a reason--because I don't have time to experiment with the garbage.

Here is an example, I once bought a "toy" buffer from Wal-Mart and tried to buff some work I did after wet sanding with 2000 grit sandpaper. That "toy" buffer I first bought could not generate the power & speed & heat required to polish clear. I brought it back, went to an autobody store, shelled out the $$$, and then proceeded with quality work.