Lots of vibration in petals / shifter?

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
Hey, I have been having problems with my '87. It Idles great, and revs smoothly when not under load (IE in neutral) When I get around 3k rpm I feel vibrations in the petals and shifter, not super violent, but something to let me know that Ive got a miss or something. I have 0 codes. My timing is set at 10, and changes when i jumper e1 and te1. My car does not have the power it should. Fuel pressure is perfect, and AFs seem good. I think oil is getting in #6 due to bad cam cover sealage (sp). I did compression test, 170 all around, and my plugs were gapped at .030. I still havent looked into my ignition system. Mabyee Im paraniod, and its nothing? But my car is running 12 psi and it only barks my crappy tires when i shift hard into 2nd. It should burn them.

~scott

northsupra

Normally Insane
Mar 30, 2005
Norway
I dont know if this is a shoot in the dark but mine did that because the dp touched the rear tranny support.

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
Vibration in the pedal doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong with the motor. Usually it's as northsupra said, some component of the exhaust rubbing on the chassis, tranny or rear subframe. Maybe you're just getting used to the power. 12psi isn't all that spectacular, you'll get used to it eventually and it'll seem slow.

thesupraman

Smirker
May 15, 2005
Frenchtown, NJ
scottiedawg66 said:
I think my problem is ignition related.

~scott

Sounds like it. I had a real bad misfire and it turned out to be the wire harness that goes to the coils. I removed the insulating sleeve and the insulation on a few of the wires was badly cracked. I put shrink tubing on all of the individual wires and the misfire disappeared. Thats the problem with 15+ year old cars, the insulation starts to dry-rot and crack. Don't know about you, but electrical problems drive me nuts!!!! :nuts:

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
Excessive oil getting into any cylinder will definitely cause a misfire.

thesupraman, that coil harness is actually still available from Toyota and it's actually pretty cheap, somewhere around $10.

thesupraman

Smirker
May 15, 2005
Frenchtown, NJ
Bishop92t said:
thesupraman, that coil harness is actually still available from Toyota and it's actually pretty cheap, somewhere around $10.
Damn.....wish I would have checked. Just figured it would be astronomical. Thanks Bishop ---Jim

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
It's one of those things you'd never expect to be available much less cheap. Like the door lock bezels, oil dipstick. Someone should make a thread about this :)