jdm 7m in the supra...

Untouchable7mgte

back in the game!
Apr 1, 2005
Wilkes-Barre,PA
hey guys i recently bought a JDM engine from SOKO.com and i realized that it isnt as easy as it seems. Sure i read about it alot it it seems to be easy but its not. Taking everything apart sucks, remembering where everything goes even worse. Then dropping the tranny blows and when you do get the friggin 7m out you have to unplug everything then unplug everything on the other engine. Repace the oil sender, thermostat, EGR(uncle made me puit that back on), throttle body then wiring the whole thing back up. But i just had to rant and rave about how much it sucks but it will be worth it in the end, having a engine with 30k to 50k miles on it and then body having only 86k miles on it. But anyone wants to say anythin about this feel free to. or maybe some pointers for next time because i have another supra im doing soon. but see ya guys later.

tom
90 white package turbo targa
90 red turbo hardtop
88 red sunroof

P.S.If anyone is looking for a supra to buy i have one sale ask about it here or feel free to IM me on AIM at Untouchable7mgte. :bigthumb:

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Ok bud,
do tell us about the supra for sale.
BTW I too am doing engine work, and it sure is hard to remember where parts go. I used plastic bags for the bolts and labelled them, but i ran out and some bolts are now in a pile and will be forever forgotten :icon_roll
eric

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
just take it slow man, i didnt find it to be difficult. dont rush it, thats when you forget things. ;)

-shaeff

YoNkErS87t

streetside mechanic
Mar 31, 2005
In the Garage
Its not too difficult if you take your time and stay organized. I did a jdm swap in my 87' last winter in my driveway. Winter time meaning 10 degrees out and snow on the ground. Not to mention that i never realy messed with cars before that. only oil changes. Now i probaly could take my motor out with my eyes closed(wouldn't recommend it though)

another thing i just pulled the head off to do a headgasket and the head was almost new looking. I was realy suprised. didn't realy think that it was possible to still get a clean motor with 30k-50k miles on it. i thought 30k-50k was just to make it sound good, but it probaly has less miles then i thought it had.

Justin727

T-virus infected
sometimes its true yes. sometimes its not. buddy got one with 80k on it. while the motor is out and u got some spare money atleast change the hg even if u do it with a stocker torqued down correctly it will hold for some time. I ordered mine from soko as well. Cheston was really helpful and kind. sent payment monday. they recieved it and got the motor friday. it wasnt to hard to swap over everything and u should have pulled the tranny with the motor. Replace as many gaskets and seals as u can or else u might wish u had after the next 1k miles. good luck hope everything comes out good!

chedderknight

PiYauD-BaKa
Apr 4, 2005
Glendale, CA
www.myspace.com
just hearing about swapping, the good and bad makes me really eager to do it as soon as possible, but I"m holding out till my N/A engine go Kaputs, by that time, I'd have enough for everything.

edit: when my N/A motor dies on me, would it be wise to reuse the cams and put them in my future JDM turbo motor? I havent heard anything about this so far.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
drjonez said:

:yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm
now u cant complain

and if you think that is hard, im droping a 2jz into my car and i have no clue how the hell i'm going to do it. but my advice like many others is DONT RUSH, rushing will take longer than if you did it slowly and made sure everything is right.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
CassMori said:
You should try the swap (JDM turbo into an NA),when many of the parts are missing, and the (NA) engine was removed by someone else! With bolts piled in a large bowl! Fun stuff! :(

91 turbo driveline into an early 89 NA chassis - that one was fun :icon_lol:

But seriously, if you go slow and label things, it's easy enough to do. By the time you're done, you'll know where everything goes.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
chedderknight said:
edit: when my N/A motor dies on me, would it be wise to reuse the cams and put them in my future JDM turbo motor? I havent heard anything about this so far.

first, its only the INTAKE cam, and second, use the search function. this has been discussed before:)

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2105&highlight=cams

^ there's also a link in that thread, go to that one for a little more info.

-shaeff

Anomili

Obsessed
Apr 9, 2005
In an Igloo
www.cardomain.com
What a coincidence that this thread suddenly appeared. I just got an offer I am finding hard to refuse. A complete working turbo engine for $400 CAD. But I think I'm gonna rebuild it myself from the ground up before I swap it in.