Did a baseline dyno at Torque Freaks today.

spipedong

Level 2 Rythym Rogue
Apr 2, 2005
Eugene, OR
I went up to torque freaks to establish a baseline for the car with current mods. Here's what I got:

Year, Make, Model:1988 Toyota Supra
Gear:I think they were 4th gear pulls.
Transmission:5 Speed
All mods: Cone Filter, Boost @ 10psi, defcon hardpipes, HKS Downpipe (2.5-3"), 3" catback, Flowmaster 40 series.

Peak TQ & HP: Out of the three runs, the top of each was 236RWHP and 265RWTQ. The runs themselves were as follows:
228.38RWHP, 265.53RWTQ
234.12RWHP, 255.89RWTQ
236.52RWHP, 256.86RWTQ
For an average output of: 233RWHP and 259RWTQ

This was a dynojet 248X in-ground Dynamometer located at Torque Freaks in Portland, OR.

Pics:
Run 1
Run 2
Run 3

The car was running PIG F'ING RICH, as shown on the A/F graph. It only goes down to 10.0:1 and I had it pegged down almost the entire time. I suspect there's a great deal of power to be unlocked with an AFC or E-Manage and some tuning.

All in all, I sort of surprised myself but not a whole lot :D I was expecting about 220RWHP and it was pretty close.

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
Good Job Man!
I'm hoping to break 350 up there as soon as I get my new down pipe.
And yes, Tuning did a TON!
I picked up 35 HP just by bringing it to 11.6:1
BTW, the car was looking good at the autocross last month!

spipedong

Level 2 Rythym Rogue
Apr 2, 2005
Eugene, OR
IHI-RHC7 said:
Good Job Man!
I'm hoping to break 350 up there as soon as I get my new down pipe.
And yes, Tuning did a TON!
I picked up 35 HP just by bringing it to 11.6:1
BTW, the car was looking good at the autocross last month!

Thanks man, I thought I saw you there. I'm trying to run in the april or the may autocross. I just need to get some new suspension installed and I'll be set.

BTW: Was your A/F that rich before tuning?

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
spipedong said:
Thanks man, I thought I saw you there. I'm trying to run in the april or the may autocross. I just need to get some new suspension installed and I'll be set.

BTW: Was your A/F that rich before tuning?
Off the chart.
Yeah, I was going to run, but the Teins weren't in yet. Now that they are, I think I want swaybars before I X it.
BTW, You should get Tein HAs, I love them.

spipedong

Level 2 Rythym Rogue
Apr 2, 2005
Eugene, OR
I would swear I heard him shift 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 but he may have done 1-2, 2-3-3 again to get the revs in line.

Videos are coming as well, I just need to get the firewire hooked up and do some compression.

What I really want to know is are these good numbers or not? Half the people say they're great, half the people say there terrible. People are saying I have a boost leak or some other serious problem causing the low AF ratio, but Jake says his was like that too. I have defcon hardpipes with silicon couplers and T-Bolt clamps. I would almost guarantee that a boost leak isn't even possible; plus the dyno operator said the boost was a steady 10 all the way up, didn't budge at all.

Some people are telling me the power's smooth, and some say it's too jagged and unsteady.

I guess I just need to interpet my own graphs then eh? :)

edit: also, I'm being told that the HP/TQ don't cross where they should. WTF does that mean?

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
edit: also, I'm being told that the HP/TQ don't cross where they should. WTF does that mean?

Power measured in HP at 5252rpm is the same numerical value as torque measured in ft/lbs at 5252rpm. Someone just didn't notice your HP and torque scales are not equal, they do cross over at the correct spot.

LuvMySilverSupra

Bay Area Supras
Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Jeff Lange said:
It doesn't matter what gear you dyno in.

except for that the gears are torque multiplyers. (sp?)

you need a one-one ratio. mk4's it's 4th, i think for us it's 3rd, but i've been hearing so much from both sides lately that i stopped caring

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
LuvMySilverSupra said:
except for that the gears are torque multiplyers. (sp?)

you need a one-one ratio. mk4's it's 4th, i think for us it's 3rd, but i've been hearing so much from both sides lately that i stopped caring

MK4's it's 5th, MK3's it's 4th.

But it doesn't matter anyways, if it did, then the final drive would matter too. Since it's a torque multiplier as well, and 87-88 cars have 3.91:1, 89-92 have 3.73:1, MKIV's have 3.27:1, N/A's have 4.30:1... they'd all change it.

But the thing is, power doesn't change with torque multiplication, because in third you're putting more torque down, but the tires are spinning slower, so the power is the same.

The dyno measures the torque and RPM at the wheels, then, since it knows the RPM of the engine, it can calculate the torque for the engine, it doesn't care what gear you're in.

outofstep

Mar 31, 2005
fwb
Jeff Lange said:
MK4's it's 5th, MK3's it's 4th.

But it doesn't matter anyways, if it did, then the final drive would matter too. Since it's a torque multiplier as well, and 87-88 cars have 3.91:1, 89-92 have 3.73:1, MKIV's have 3.27:1, N/A's have 4.30:1... they'd all change it.

They do matter and the power does change. The different ratios will put more/less load on the engine at a given RPM. This is very common and happens to everyone that changes rear gears.

Pretty much everyone in the domestic world knows this as gear changing there is super common. Over here not many folks change gears, so it's not talked about much. It seems to be about a ~20 rwhp change per lvl. So a 4.3 to 3.8 drop would probably pick you up around 40rwhp.

This is also why you always try and get a 1:1 gear for dynoing. Dynoing in other gears gives off results. This is also much documented, that’s why 1:1 is de facto.

This is purely a dyno effect. Real world you would cut a faster ET with the 4.3s. Anyways, lots of info out there on this. Check google or the various domestic forums for more. You could even hit SF as I know it was discussed at least once there before.

Last edited:

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
More power with 4.3:1 gearing would only be the result of lower frictional losses because the drivetrain would be spinning slower.

I've read up pretty extensively, but if you have an article in mind give me a link, I'd love to read it.

I of course am also assuming an N/A vehicle, as in 4th you'd be putting a higher load on the engine, and you'd make more boost than in 3rd.

EDIT: This is a pretty good article: http://www.car-videos.com/articles/horsepower_torque.asp :)

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
yeah, now that I look at your AF, you are way richer than mine were.
Tuning the fuel will drastically improve the shap of your graphs, as wel as increase the overall output.
I would moniter your Vf, to ensure that everthing is in tune under normal driving conditions, Vf to E1 in the check terminal should read 2.5 or 2.25 volts when driving in closed loop mode. When you romp on it, it should read 0V.
If it reads other than that, then you have some sort of issue in the intake plumbing, or the fuel system.
I'd get an adjustable FPR, and guage to verify fuel pressure.

spipedong

Level 2 Rythym Rogue
Apr 2, 2005
Eugene, OR
Come to think of it, I DO have my doubts about some of the Tees off of the accordian hose. Somebody lost the clamps on a few of them and I've never replaced them.