Timing Belt

smagnotta

SuprSal
Apr 5, 2005
WashPa
I looked at the TSRM and it outlines a lot of steps to take out the timing belt. Is this all required -- take out radiator, take off clutch fan assembly, etc. It seems like I can do it without taking the radiator out.

It also says no dirt, dust or oil should hit the belt but I see a lot of Supras with the timing cover off exposing the cam pulleys and timing belt.

Is it OK to keep it off permanently?

How long does a belt last on the average (70K miles ?)

I have 50K on this belt.

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
The timing belt is a PITA just because fo the time.

You might be able to get it out without taking the radiator out, but you have to take so much other stuff off, might as well do it and get it out of the way.

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
If you don't take the 30 minutes to remove the radiator,fan shroud and fan, you might damage the radiator. Then you're going to wish you took the time to remove everything. And when you do remove everything, there's a lot or room to work. For me, its well worth the time.

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
You might as well take the radiator out, it's two bolts and two hose clamps and it opens up a lot of room. If you have to use a pulley puller you'll need all that room, and you don't want to accidently damage your radiator while you're working down there.

I've had my upper timing cover off for the past 3 years, over 40,000 miles and no probs. The belts are "supposed" to be changed every 70k miles, but I find they usually last longer. So long as it's not cracked, brittle or otherwise not rubbery it's probably still good.

smagnotta

SuprSal
Apr 5, 2005
WashPa
Thanks for the link shaeff.

That helped a lot. I already have the thermostat housing, power steering reservoir, and timing belt cover off. I also have the spark plugs removed but that was for something else.

Although the belt seems to be fine I am going to replace it with a new one.

My goals:

1- Set the timing
2- Replace timing belt
3- Replace ISC
4- Replace TPS

I cleaned up a lot of oily parts from previous oil leaks. There was some major oil and grime in there!