Close Encounter's of the Dump Truck Kind

Anomili

Obsessed
Apr 9, 2005
In an Igloo
www.cardomain.com
I can't really believe this happened; the full events of tonight are just starting to sink in now. Since that wonderful feeling one gets after cheating death is preventing me from getting any sleep, I shall now recount my story.
*******Warning: LONG STORY AHEAD*******

Today started like any other day... except that I was woken up 3 hours earlier then normal so that I could be placed in front of my computer and commanded to write a cover letter for a job application to an unknown job. (Parent's dislike my current job cleaning boilers :p) Following this extremely stressful hour I finished the letter and began my personal challenge of finally getting my car running properly, after a year of slowly replacing parts. Luckily for me, two very supra smart friends of mine dropped by and gave me a hand. It was after we had installed my s-afc and avc-r and greddy catch can that one friend (SpoolinT78) realized that a small obscure ground wire grounding my coil pack was not connected. Of course this minor problem ended up being the entire reason as to why my car hadn't idled properly since last year. Anyways, after all that work the car was running again with only one small issue with the BOV.

After my friends left, I decided to go out for a drive (after I washed the car and changed the coolant and debated changing the oil before giving up.) The ride out was amazing. Clear sky, targa off, open highway... The stuff we all dream about. Life was good, for the moment. On the way back home god decided that I was having far too good a day. The first sign of trouble came in a riced out Honda Prelude who, regardless of my obvious lack of interest in his “car”, decided that I indeed wanted to race him. He also came to the conclusion that, even though I was doing a mere 20 km over the limit, my slight speeding infraction indicated a undying desire to pit my car against his in the ultimate test of all the is manliness. So started the infamous ricer flyby. What a flyby it was. His car, under full throttle, was well on the way to reaching 160 kmph when he flew by me and decided to cut me off. What he didn't realize during his moment of victory over the supra, was that we had entered a construction zone and that a dump truck two cars in front of us was suddenly very interested in getting from the far right lane into the construction area on the far left. Now this truck driver wasn't the smartest man and saw absolutely no problem with slamming the brakes and cutting across the highway into the far left lane (where ricy mcrice and I were currently driving.) Low and behold an accord directly behind the truck had to attempt a pass before the truck flew by adding yet another element of chaos into the situation.

The end result of this random introduction of entropy into my universe ended with a massive dump truck going 20 kmph in front of an accord who was desperately attempting to avoid rear ending it. As well, a riced out prelude found himself behind the frantic accord and was suddenly faced with the biggest catastrophe his small mind could ever imagine.

The end result for me was a dump truck, an accord and a ricer prelude all with brakes fully engaged a mere 20 feet in front of me. My reaction... place brake pedal firmly through the floor while frantically turning the steering wheel in a desperate attempt to avoid the fast approaching and monstrous wide body ass of the riced out prelude in-front of me. Luckily for me, my newly working Supra pulled through, handling flawlessly when all hell was breaking loose.

By pure luck and fast reaction time, an onlooker would have seen me flying into the construction zone and coming to a stop in the blocked lane while the prelude and accord and dump truck missed each other by mere inches.

In retrospect the only casualty of the night was an innocent traffic cone which made contact with my bumper as I flew into the blocked off lane. The poor cone was tossed an approximated 5-10 meters and is unlikely to ever return to an upright state again. My bumper sustained only minor scratches to the wax I just put on, most of which I buffed out before coming in. My license plate got a little indented, but the car was otherwise unharmed.

All story telling aside, the only real aspect of this incident that makes me mad is the fact that this ricer probably shrugged off this near death experience to bad luck and will probably not be bothered by it again. I meanwhile have to deal with the knowledge that, had I been a second slower, the prelude in front of me would have been clipped in the driver side rear bumper and thrown into the still busy and quickly moving right lane.

In the end I can only thank the Supra gods for giving my car the responsiveness that allowed me to dodge the prelude and pray that people like him learn how to drive.

That is, my story.

CTsupra

Supramania Contributor
holy crap man. when i opened this thread i was expecting to hear that a dump truck destroyed yet another mkiii. thank the supra gods that didn't happen and thank god you weren't hurt either.

p.s. f***ing honda owners and their riced out piece of shit cars. i'm about to go around slashing tires. i seriously would have got out of my car and laughed at him had he crashed his prelude and died.

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
Sounds like three stupid drivers and one good one. God was definately watching out for all parties involved. Wow.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Bravo Bravo, that poor cone, *sniff* if it just would have moved out of the way, and yes the Supra Gaurdian Angel was with you.
Amen.

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
Nice thread! Awesome story telling...it is too bad about the cone, though. Good ones are hard to find.

sirkus

May 12, 2005
Cartersville, Ga
itsholdingon.tk
Hey Now... It's hard being a dump truck driver, I mean you have so much to look out for.. Making fast turns, spilling your beer into the floor, dropping your meth pipe... I mean, cmon.. It was an honest mistake.

And as for the prelude... well... Honda rules...

*sarcasm*

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
THank goodness your car was not harmed. Did everyone stop at that point, or did they go on about their business? If there was a stop, you missed the perfect opportunity to beat the snot out of the 'Lude driving ricer.

To the others: it's not the dump-truck driver's fault at all; you are automatically supposed to slow down in construction zones, generally 10-20mph slower than the indicated speed limit.

Anomili

Obsessed
Apr 9, 2005
In an Igloo
www.cardomain.com
No one stopped but me... everyone else just kept going after they had stopped braking. I stopped because I was in the blocked off lane.

Off Topic: As if in protest to the unschedualed events of last night, my handbrake cable snapped as I was pulling into the driveway today. To quote one of my friends, "That car is cursed man." I've had it out of storage 3 years and driven maybe 3,000 km total in between replacing parts.

doom26464

Research...research
Mar 31, 2005
Saskatoon SK, Canada
www.cardomain.com
one amazing story, what year or style of prelude i wonder??

Be more carful out there man i had ppl run into my last supra but the supra took minor scratches and the other vechile got totaled, the supra a tank im sure if u hit the dump truck it would get totaled into a million pieces and the supra would walk aways with only scratches.

Anomili

Obsessed
Apr 9, 2005
In an Igloo
www.cardomain.com
Lol it was a fifth gen prelude 2000+ I think. My friend has one and this one definitely looked similar. And I realize that in a collision he would have paid the ultimate price. A rapidly decelerating honduh POS getting bumped into 120+ kmph traffic would have really ended its existence in a hurry.

Anomili

Obsessed
Apr 9, 2005
In an Igloo
www.cardomain.com
Then the police would have pinned his death on me... because I can't prove that he cut me off and the cops will see me rear ending him. Hence, I'd get charged with like manslaughter for following too closely. The Legal System RULES! :sarcasm: