Can a bad thermostat cause stalling/failure to restart?

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I am stalling when my car sits still after it is fully warmed up. I got pulled over by a cop for not having my inspection sticker (I've only had the car 8 days!) and it stalled while he was running my license. It started after it sat for 10 minutes, but ran like shit and I stalled again a half mile down the road, where I pulled into an empty lot and let the car sit with the hood open for a half an hour. It fired back up and I got back on the road, keeping the RPMs around 2,000 until I could get back home.

On the way back, I turned the heater on full blast, but I didn't get any heat. I confirmed that the upper radiator hose has no coolant in it once I got home by squeezing it and getting no resistance. Could this be causing my stalling problems? Is there a sensor that is getting pissy because the thermostat isn't opening? The car fires but will die almost immediately once it is hot. I was able to get it running (albeit very poorly) when I disconnected the AFM, but of course you can't drive the car with it unplugged. Help!

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
There is a pretty good chance your AFM is bad. My car had a bad one and it acted weird. It would run fine until the car warmed up. Then the car would stumble every 30 seconds, sometimes staling. If I opened the hood it would run fine. As soon as I closed the hood it would start stumbling again. It was wired. And I couldn't drive it because it would stall when coming to a stop. I changed the AFM and all was well. So check your AFM via the TSRM or swap it with someone to check. To answer your question no there isn't a sensor that gets pissy when the thermostat doesn’t open. But get the radiator filled and burped right away.

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
thank you. i've got a spare electronic piece for the AFM lying around somewhere (god I hate moving) but it's worth a shot.

L

lanky189

could be a few things.
1 are you loosing coolant?
2 are you getting fuel to the rail?
3 is it overheating?

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Coolant seems to be stable. The overflow bottle is exactly where I left it after parking it last year.

The car boosts up to 15psi and shows full rich on the narrowband a/f gauge, so fuel is fine. As long as I keep moving, the car has no issues.

The stock temperature gauge never goes above half, even when it's struggling/refusing to keep running.