what psi am I doing I wonder??

doom26464

Research...research
Mar 31, 2005
Saskatoon SK, Canada
www.cardomain.com
I know I may become an annoynce over the next little while but plz bear with me as im new to the tubro world(just bought my turbo big jump for me from my N/a) anyways here what I really wanted to ask:

Well I only have the stock gauge right now, and my mods are as followed:
-K&n filter
-3 inch downpipe(wich then connects back to the stock exasuht and catlatic converter)
-A carbon fiber muffler(not sure as to what the size on it is??? )

Anywaysd my boost gauge when i floor it reads up to 8 psi but then goes down and stays at about 7 or 7.5 psi and will hold there.

so I have a few q's:

1.) How accurate is the stock boost guage(I know its not accurate but might as well ask anyways get some ones opion)
2.) Am i boosting at a max of 8 psi or 7psi??
3.) also how long should it take for the ct-26 to spool up?? Either im expreincing a bit of turbo lag or the boost gauge just takes time to respond or then again i guess all turbo take a second or 2 there power isn't instant.

thnx a ton for the cooments/info :chicken:

J

JerzeySlowpra

the stock boost guage isnt very accurate, you could be boosting a little over 8 and not know it but i doubt it with just intake and exaust your probley at the 7.5 range

CTsupra

Supramania Contributor
1. its pretty accurate for anything under 8psi.
2. your boosting to a max of 8 or more, then like all turbos do power will drop off slightly in the upper rpm band.
3. you basically answered your own question. when i was running open dp, my "stock" ct-26 would start to spool at 1500rpms full boost followed shortly after. getting rid of the stock exhaust and cat will do wonders, but you know that.

hope this helps.

P.S. don't kill yourself thinking your car is screwed up. for the mods you have, your car sounds fine to me. what you need to worry about is the head gasket, oil pump ( how is your oil pressure btw?), waterpump, radiator...etc. don't worry about performance just yet.

Last edited:

doom26464

Research...research
Mar 31, 2005
Saskatoon SK, Canada
www.cardomain.com
CtSupra said:
1. its pretty accurate for anything under 8psi.
2. your boosting to a max of 8 or more, then like all turbos do power will drop off slightly in the upper rpm band.
3. you basically answered your own question. when i was running open dp, my "stock" ct-26 would start to spool at 1500rpms full boost followed shortly after. getting rid of the stock exhaust and cat will do wonders, but you know that.

hope this helps.

P.S. don't kill yourself thinking your car is screwed up. for the mods you have, your car sounds fine to me. what you need to worry about is the head gasket, oil pump ( how is your oil pressure btw?), waterpump, radiator...etc. don't worry about performance just yet.
Im not worried about performance at all I just finished flushing out and cleaning up the rad next thing to do is get power steering fixed, its just when i bough the car it came with the mods.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
i have exact same mods as you and it should be at the 7-7.5 psi range. lag is expected in these cars but you should atleast be able to hear the turbo spinning at arround 1900-2300 rpms depending on load. i can hear it when i leave the lights in traffic, it helps if theres something for the noise to echo against like a wall or another car.