6m/7m cranks

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
So I've done my share of searching and know that the 6m crank is lighter and not balanced, and the 7m crank is balanced and 5 lbs heavier....

that's nice. Which is better?

I'm picking up a JDM engine and I get to inspect it before I buy it, and I have my choice of however many there are in stock. If i come across one of each, which should I choose???

supra90mkiii

Apr 2, 2005
Racine, WI
I don't think either one is "Better", I have a 6m crank in my 1990 engine, cuz i couldn't find another 7m in my area. It works fine. Have a machine shop balance the crank and it should be good. It won't be Fully balanced like the 7m, but it's semi-balanced.

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
supra90mkiii said:
I don't think either one is "Better", I have a 6m crank in my 1990 engine, cuz i couldn't find another 7m in my area. It works fine. Have a machine shop balance the crank and it should be good. It won't be Fully balanced like the 7m, but it's semi-balanced.

Also, I think the 6m has a higher rev limit. Its lighter so it will spin eaiser.

You may not even be able to tell a difference. I also have a 6m crank.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Supra Blues said:
Also, I think the 6m has a higher rev limit. Its lighter so it will spin eaiser.

You may not even be able to tell a difference. I also have a 6m crank.

It should also be noted that the rev limit is implemented by the ECU. So it really depends on what ECU you have what your rev limit will be.