Where does your stock oil pressure gauge read?

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
Where does everyone's stock oil pressure gauge read?

My rebuilt engine has 225 miles. Running 20/50 castrol.

At idle it will read between the first "-" and "2".

At highway speed it will read just above "2".

If my calculations are correct "2" is about 32 psi. That seems low.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
32 psi is low. on highway it should get alittle above 40 maybe 45-50 psi. and when idleing it should read about 25 no more than 30
thats where mine is but, every car is diff. the good DR.j can help a lot more he is the supra bible, the moses of the ten commandments, the....

CTsupra

Supramania Contributor
i don't understand. are you saying it's at the first "-" above zero? or are you in canada and the guages read differently?

if not, you better change your oil-pump (should change it regardless). you should've done that when you had your motor rebuilt.

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
Yes, new oil pump was installed.

No, not in Canada. On my gauge there is a "-" then "2".

It mostly stays at the "-" at idle, then "2" at freeway speeds.

And the measurment is kg/cm2. I am trying to translate that into psi.

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
gauge_oil.gif

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Supra Blues said:
Hmmm....that's interesting because I know its been in California since it was new. Family owned car.

im not totally sure on the psi thing but im pretty sure it is only in the usa. so i might be wrong.

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
Supra Blues, my California supra with a Japanese rebuilt motor and a tested (so they advertise) oil pump seems to be about the same as yours. Although I think it usually runs between 3 and 4. But definately idles at or around -. On the original pump and when it was new it ran at and sometimes above 6, and if I remember idled between 2 and 4. The testing was suppose to be to the factory specification. Which I am assuming is the TSRM.

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
When I reassembed the engine, my bearing clearances were a little big, but not much. Someone here told me that it should be fine, but the oil pressure may not read as high if the clearances were smaller.

Dunno.

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
My stock gauge sits just above the 2 most of the time, rest of the time it's either at it or just below it and then lower at idle.

That pic isnms posted is right on, well for my car anyways.

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
Loki said:
My stock gauge sits just above the 2 most of the time, rest of the time it's either at it or just below it and then lower at idle.

That pic isnms posted is right on, well for my car anyways.

Loki,

How many miles on the engine with that oil pressure?

stratoayu

May 13, 2005
surrey
mine stays at around 2-3 during normal driving. at idle is just above the 1. ur fine :p if ur worried, get an aftermarket gauge that measures in psi...

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
Supra Blues said:
Loki,

How many miles on the engine with that oil pressure?

It has 172,000km on the odometer, which is about 106,000 miles. I think the engine has been rebuilt and I'm not sure how many are on the rebuild.