R-154 problem

1987supraomega

Stupid hurts
Apr 11, 2005
Elroy, WI
www.cardomain.com
Well tonight i had this happen for the first time but when i go to put the car into first going from reverse or when i'm downshifitng like at a stop light i usually only downshift to 2nd then put the car into first when completely stopped, when i go to take off the car will pop out of first :dunno:. I recently replaced the clutch with an ACT 6 puck and changed the tranny fluid, I put 75-90 full synthetic valvoline in, and have been driving it around for a month or so. Is it the fluid do I need some special toyota oil, or is there something i am missing it does seem to have more whine like when letting off still in gear. Any help would be appreciated.

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
The transmission popping out of gear is usually indicative of the synchros going out. A better transmission fluid might help. I highly recommend some Redline MTL.

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
....but once synchros go out...there is no taking them back just with oil......that just POSTPONES the inevitable.

Just save up for another tranny.....or just save up for a rebuild :nono:

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
Ask around to see if you can find a friend, or a friend of a friend, that can rebuild trannys. During the teardown you might find that is really the only visible problem, and can repair it (without spending a fortune at a shop doing the whole thing). I've done it on several cars with great success.

Eriol

Mar 31, 2005
Indianapolis
Man, sorry to hear -- sounds like you're having as many problems as I am. :(

My Supra has done that like 3 times since I've owned the car... tranny has 175,000 miles on it, and the synchros are quite mushy.

Eriol

Mar 31, 2005
Indianapolis
Yeah, and I say you need to share the design of that adaptor plate, IJ. ;P

BTW, I dropped out about 10 pages into your thread -- did you ever get that thing installed?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
LOL yeah it's a bit of an Epic read!

It's bolted in and all the accessories are done (shifter driveshaft crossmember speedo cable)

I changed my mind on the Clutch so should get that sorted soon!

It's bolts in like it's meant to be!