Wide-Band o2 question.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
I've been looking at wide band o2 sensor systems and was wondering. Is a wideband system just a better way to monitor the A/F ratio so you can tweak it with a piggy-back computer(Emanage/SAFC)? Or can you control the A/F ratio with a wideband? Thanks guys. I was looking at em and just kinda realized that I don't know exactly why they're so great. Thanks again.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
AM: Same boat here and after LOTS of research the WB is a tuning tool but it can't change anything on it's own! (really expensive systems can force a preset AF but that's not always the best)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
LOL yep ranging from not very accurate and cheap to really accurate and expensive!

Common thing seems to be sensors have a habit of not lasting too long depending on how they're used!

I'll use my Tuners wideband until it's tuned then put my own in ;)
(rich is bad for em up there with leaded gas and high EGT's)

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
dangit...Check out Bishop's supra on www.ma70.com hes got that set up. The Emanage is a piggy back A/F controller like the SAFC but I think it can control ignition timing as well. (maybe...not too sure) The e-01 is an electronic boost controller that has a display screen. Since both units are made by Greddy the Emanage can be hooked up to the E-01's display for in-car tuning. Bishop also has a few videos that were posted recently, in them you can see the screen.

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
Some widebands have the ability to emulate a narrowband output, even change the A:F of that output. In that way, you can fool the stock ecu into running richer or leaner closed loop than normal with certian widebands.

The real value of most widebands is in the datalogging. Bieng able to datalog A:F ratios relative to RPM and sometimes even load makes tuning the car a boatload easier. It should also provide a warning if your piggybacks are having a disagreement with the stock ecu and your tune is drifting.