MK4 rear brakes installed!

CassMori

Boost Addict
Got my new rear brakes in (finally), here's a link to the pics!

mysupragallery.com -> rear brakes

did these during down/rest times while working on replacing HG. pretty easy, drill the bolt holes, shim the rotors, viola, it's done.

At this point is when you notice that the MK4 brake line is too short :eek: . I used a LS430 front caliper hose on the driver's side, still need one on the pass. side (the mk4 line is pulled pretty tight, but will work for now).

Got all the stuff for the front brakes, except for the LS430 caliper bolts (m14 x 1.5 x ~ 100mm is difficult to find at places other than Toyota....), and still have to machine out the mounting bracket.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
What are the benefits of switching to MKIV rear brakes? What size are the rotors? How many pistons for each caliper?

CassMori

Boost Addict
rears are pretty easy - but fronts are more needing the swap. As soon as I can get the rotors machined & make the bracket, I'll swap them too. But can't run around with fancy front rotors & calipers, and rusty-ass midget-size rear rotors & calipers, now can I? ;)

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
IJ: it seems so... ;)

cass: in reality the rear stockers are of a pretty good size...hell i look at other "sports" cars FRONT rotors and the mk3 stock rear ones are pretty damn close lol....

the mk4 front adaptation definitley takes more work...but damn would it be worth it ;)

CassMori

Boost Addict
aye mate said:
What are the benefits of switching to MKIV rear brakes? What size are the rotors? How many pistons for each caliper?
not sure the exact size, believe they are 13". calipers are 2-piston, instead of single.
The main benifit is they match the front! :bigthumb: . should also improve rear braking some, will know in the next day or two, once the car is running again.

IJ. said:
Cass: Going Mk4 on the front?

yep, using LS430 front calipers (4-piston, one piece alum.). Those things were made to stop a heavy car, unlike the motorcycle brakes we have.

CassMori

Boost Addict
Idealsupra said:
cass: in reality the rear stockers are of a pretty good size...hell i look at other "sports" cars FRONT rotors and the mk3 stock rear ones are pretty damn close lol....

the mk4 front adaptation definitley takes more work...but damn would it be worth it ;)

That's true about the rears - the fronts have really been my main concern. Not had any problems out of the rears, but I've smoked the fronts pretty heavily (looked like they were on fire!). I just have patience issues, I've had this stuff sitting around for a couple of months now; I was out getting parts, for the HG change, saw some bolts the correct size for the rear calipers......

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Another advantage to doing the hubs is while they're in the lathe is I machined some spacers out of aluminium pressed them onto the centre of the hub then turned them to Mk4 size so the discs run perfectly concentric! :)

encomiast

boosted kraut
Mar 31, 2005
germany
are you going to drive around with MKIV brakes in the rear and stock MKIII brakes in the front until you get the front brakes done?
I'm not sure if this is a wise thing to do because the brake balance will probably change quite a bit, which may negatively affect braking performance (ABS engaging too soon because of the rear wheels losing traction before the front wheels do). I might be wrong, though.

CassMori

Boost Addict
encomiast said:
are you going to drive around with MKIV brakes in the rear and stock MKIII brakes in the front until you get the front brakes done?
I'm not sure if this is a wise thing to do because the brake balance will probably change quite a bit, which may negatively affect braking performance (ABS engaging too soon because of the rear wheels losing traction before the front wheels do). I might be wrong, though.
yes, but hopefully not long. A week or two at most, I hope. since school's out, I mostly only drive to work & back, 16mi. round trip per day.