starting trouble..

full_thr0ttle

Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
my car has been getting worse and worse over the last little while, and i cant figure out the reason for it..

the car has a lot of trouble starting when the engine is cold and been sitting for a bit, anything over 4 hours or so... i crank it and crank it and EVENTUALLY it will turn over, but it struggles even then, the RPM's dont go up like they should, they come up VERY slowly, until they eventually reach idle... it sounds like it wants to die out even after it starts, but i give it a little gas and it comes up ok.. when im driving i have no trouble at all with the car, it idles good etc..

does anybody know what my problem mite be? thanks guys

kirk

huntin5L

Mar 31, 2005
Niles, IL
Check your cps wiring. I had an issue like that and eventually i couldn't start my car. I wiggled the cps wires near the connector and it started right up with no problems. If you are turbo, looking at the motor under the hood it would be on the left side bolted right to the head. You will see connectors there, wiggle them.

Last edited:

full_thr0ttle

Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
when i turn the key the starter and the relay both sound like they are working properly..

today when i came out from the gym, the car had only been sitting for 2 hours or so... it would not start at all, all i could hear was the relay clicking, the engine and the starter made no noise watsoever... i had power in the car and all the electronics were working... but i had a buddy jump me anyways to see if it would help, it still made no sounds for a second, but eventually turned over...

next time it happens i'll try wiggling those wires to see if it has any effect...

but its still confusing, i have no idea..

full_thr0ttle

Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
thats actually wat i was thinking too but im not too sure.. i was hoping someone mite have had the same problem and could give a little insight...

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
wait wait...

when you go to start it...does it CRANK? or does it just click?

to ME it sounds like youre saying you have to crank it a bit before it turns over completely and starts to run...NOT that youre just getting clicking and no cranking...

sooo if im reading this right...which i think i am.. lol... its NOT your starter contacts...

are you getting any codes? your cold start injector might be bad or the sensor for it... you can test this by pulling it out and turning the car over to see if t sprays at all...

outside of that there are a few other things which might cause this... but i want to get a clarification on the fact that it IS actually cranking....

huntin5L

Mar 31, 2005
Niles, IL
did you check your cps wiring, bet my left one that is what it is. I had the same exact symptoms and eventually i couldn't get it to start. It would crank, but wouldn't turn over. Then sometimes it would idle rough. Let us know when you check your cps wires.

full_thr0ttle

Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
yes the engine does crank, but it cranks for a while before it actually turns over... ive checked for codes and im not throwing any...

i pulled out my cold start injector today and it was completely covered, so i gave it a good cleaning, and it seemed to start a little better after that, but as good as it used to still...

i forgot to check on my cps wiring... maybe ill jus double check that tomorrow morning after it sits over night and see if its any better..

Last edited:

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
CSI maybe? thats what it sounds like to me. maybe check the CSI temp switch.

-shaeff

huntin5L

Mar 31, 2005
Niles, IL
For the cps, all you have to do is wiggle the wires, probably the easiest thing to check. Wiggle them and try starting the car, i seriously bet that is what it is. If you want a picture of where it is at ill send one when i get home from work today. Or maybe i can find one on the site and pm it to you. I guess i will try that first.

full_thr0ttle

Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
nah its cool, i know where the cps is.. when i go out tomorrow morning to start it, i'll give that a try...

i noticed that every time i try and start the car, it struggles the first time, but if i stop cranking and then crank it again, it fires up no problem..

Mr. Y

Mar 31, 2005
80 miles away from Kremlin
2 huntin5L: man, please stop fooling others! I'm pretty sure, that it is not CPS wiring. To ensure that, QuikSylver6 should check spark on every coil. If his CPS/wiring is bad, he won't see spark on some of cylinders!

2 QuikSylver6: when you car starts, does it idle smooth?

huntin5L

Mar 31, 2005
Niles, IL
sorry to dissapoint you mr.y but that is exactly what happend to me and it fixed mine by wiggling the cps wires. Symptoms: Idle rough for a minute or so, hard time starting(it would crank and crank and finally turn over). Eventually i couldn't start my car and when i wiggled the wires it started right up and also got rid of my rough idle. So don't tell me what i know from experience MR. Y, i see the same exact symptoms as was in my own car. And what is this "Im pretty sure" its not the cps shit, seriously. Obviously you have not had this problem leave it to the people who have. Let us know QS how it goes.

full_thr0ttle

Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
Mr. Y.... when the car finally turns over, the rpm's do not come up strong like they should, they come up very slowly and struggle a bit, but once it reaches idle, it has no problems, it idles nice and smooth...

however, i did check my CPS wiring as well, i pulled the clips open (which is pretty cracked and broken- but the connectors are still touching as far as i can see anyways) and cleaned the connectors, and put it back together and made sure to give them a good shake.. (at this point the car had been sitting almost 24 hours).. on the first try the car did turn over for a sec, but it died out, then it started on the next try..

wat ive noticed is, anytime the car has been sitting a while and i crank the engine and try and start it the first time-it fails, but then if i stop and try and crank it immediately after for a second time, it turns over no problem..

Mr. Y

Mar 31, 2005
80 miles away from Kremlin
2 huntin5L:
I _had_ CPS wiring problem, I diagnosed that and solved. You were asking some time ago about bad start after carwash - and i directed you to CPS wiring... But it is not correct to wiggle wires. Much easier - to check spark, and it will clear the problem!

2 QuikSylver6:
Check the spark...

huntin5L

Mar 31, 2005
Niles, IL
Yeah that is like mine. If the car is warm it has no issues when trying to start the car. When the car is sitting and is cold that is where the starting problems appear. But, Mr. Y somebody in a pm told me to wiggle the wires and it fixed it. No rough idle and it started on the first crank. I haven't had any issues really since, but sometimes very rarely i have to wiggle them again. My question is can the cps wiring be replaced or what can be done to remedy this issue. It does in fact seem like its the wiring that is failing. Somebody told me in the thread or actually a pm that is caused from the excessive heat from the motor. Also, was told by you that the cps will "fuck your brain" if it is failing. You were right! :) I never washed my engine bay actually, and that is what i couldn't understand. My issue i thought was because of condensation maybe on some of the wires from the change in weather, at least i thought. Also, my spark was fine when i checked it that day so something with the cps wiring had to be bad cause once i wiggled them every symptom went away.

Last edited: