weather outside effect power??

doom26464

Research...research
Mar 31, 2005
Saskatoon SK, Canada
www.cardomain.com
Well since i got my turbo wich was a big upgrade from my n/a, I have heard that the weather outside can effect your boost thus effecting your power. I hear also when its raining out or shitty wheather it boost lower or had less power or something im not all sure how this all works with a turbo but some info on it might be great, As my car seems to have less pull latly becuases of the moist raining weather. Hear it has something to do with AFM or something like that i dunno... fill me in plz

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Don't gun it if it's raining out! That's a no-brainer!

As far as weather outside, colder ambient air temperatures can help your car - let's say you have 50 degree air pushing across your intercooler. This further cools the charged air stream going to your intake - cooler air is more dense with oxygen. The more oxygen you can cram into the combustion chamber with more fuel, the more horsepower. Between a Florida summer and winter [from 80-90 degrees down to 40-50], I have felt considerable changes in my seat-of-the-pants dyno.

$pecialk91Turbo

Apr 10, 2005
Tampa
I think its about 1-5hp for every 10 degress cooler for an N/A and even more on a turbo. Elevation, barometric(sp?) pressure, and humidity also have an affect on how efficiently your turbo works.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
$pecialk91Turbo said:
I think its about 1-5hp for every 10 degress cooler for an N/A and even more on a turbo. Elevation, barometric(sp?) pressure, and humidity also have an affect on how efficiently your turbo works.

so your saying if i forced like 20 degree air in,i would gain a considerable amount of power?

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
sure the hell feels like it... we've been having some wierd weather lately... the other day when it was cold the car felt awesome... today she is a dog. :(

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
D34DC311 said:
so your saying if i forced like 20 degree air in,i would gain a considerable amount of power?

isnt that kinda the point of a big-ass intercooler? Gte the air as cold as possiable before it hits the chamber... so the cooler the wether outside....

bgrieger

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto
The intercooler only the secondary benefit. The primary benefit is from the lower intake air temperatures at the turbo inlet. Abidiatic heating is roughly the same no matter the air temperature (if it adds 70 degrees at 70, it still adds almost 70 at 40), so it doesn't get the intake charge as hot in the first place, then it all gets the slightly better intercooling effects.

$pecialk91Turbo

Apr 10, 2005
Tampa
bgrieger said:
The intercooler only the secondary benefit. The primary benefit is from the lower intake air temperatures at the turbo inlet. Abidiatic heating is roughly the same no matter the air temperature (if it adds 70 degrees at 70, it still adds almost 70 at 40), so it doesn't get the intake charge as hot in the first place, then it all gets the slightly better intercooling effects.

Yep, and cooler air has has more oxygen packed in to the same amount of space (more dense) because the molecules are slower moving than a hot gas. Like how a hot-air balloon works.