help me pick a tires!!

catch2nd

80's toyota lover
Mar 30, 2005
Oldest fair in CT
well, i need to get a set of rears for my tt rims....

I am stuck between 275/40's or 285/40's and I want to spend no more then 150 a tire.

I was looking online and i can get yoko avs es 100 275/40's for 130 shipped
or I can find khumo supras 284/40's for 128 plus shipping

Basically from the reviews I have read the yokohama is a better tires in ALL condition, however I have to get a little narrower tire.

Also, i understand that a wider tire does not mean more traction, usually a sticker tire means more straight line traction, what do you guys think?

all input is welcome

-Dustin

ps, the fronts have 235/40 khumo supras on them already (not that i care about matching fronts to back, just want the best performance)

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
I have Yokohama AVS ES-100's, and would have to say that they are a very good performing tire except in the rain. A little on the loud side, but lasted 19,000+ miles through very agressive driving on crappy WA roads. Nobody I've ever talked to with Kumho 712's had anything good to say about them.Alot of sidewall problems (blistering, mainly) and extremely treachcherous in the rain. For the money, it's hard to beat the Yokohamas. :boink:

Apr 17, 2005
Lafayette, IN
IF you do any performance driving the Es-100 in not a good choice, I have a set on my car and they are tost after about 3 months. Blocking and turning blue

here are some pix

362269_103_full.jpg

rears after having them less than a month, and doing one track day.

original.jpg

original.jpg

Last edited:

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
Catch2nd; Well there's no disputing Kylemartin's pic's of his Yoko's, however, he did specifiy that he did a "track day" on the tires. Considering that they were not intended for competitive driving, and that they are cheap (as big rubber goes) I still say they are hard to beat. I'll post a couple of pic's of mine in the next day or two. In the meantime I can show you what they look like after about 5,000 miles (off of my son's 240SX) 've learned that they do better with higher air pressure, than what Discount put in them to start with. I attempted to always keep them at about 38psi. Good alignment never hurts either,and of course, severe neg. camber will always play hell with any tire! :werd:

Attachments

• 5zigen 016.jpg
    5zigen 016.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

vanman

May 22, 2005
Fayetteville, AR
I had a set of 712's on a NX2000 a couple years ago. I liked them, I thought they gripped almost as well as the dunlop 8000's for alot cheaper. They are great in the rain until about half way through there tread life. Many of the sipes that help with water evacuation are not very deep, and by %50 tread, they are gone, and the wet traction suffers alot. I liked them, but I would not by them again. Do they offer Kumho 711's in the size you want? They are DIRT CHEAP and I have had a lot of luck with them, I just ordered a set in 225/50/16, and they were 55 dollars a piece. I have also had go luck with es100's, and I think you will like them I say you go with those. So, in closing, most of my post was useless!

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
I had one track day on my ES-100's and they looked almost as bad as kylemartin's. Overall the tire started out great but the performance faded over time, especially in the rain. They also got noisier as the miles got on. I got about 16k out of the front and 13k out of the rear. Overall the ES-100's were a decent tire considering the price. I bought a pair of used Potenza S02 PP for the rear with about 75% tread left for less then I paid for two ES-100's and they lasted 15k miles. The S02's also had insane wet grip and excellent dry traction. The Fuzion's I'm running right now were about the same price as the ES-100's, but seem to be gripping better and lasting longer. Wet traction is mediocre, but still decent considering the price. Bottom line is you usually get what you pay for. $250ea tires easily outperform $110ea tires.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
A guy I worked for way back had a Kremer 930t Porsche and used to do mid week track days with his rich mates he'd fit a new set of 355/35 Pirelli P7's in the morning and would kill them that day so I wouldn't go by track days as an indicator to wear ;)!