Death to my beloved CT26

GOT BOOST

Mar 30, 2005
Canada
www.supraclub.ca
Well it is offical. Today at 9:45 pm my beloved CT26 decided to go to a better place. With one final courageous breath at .90 Bar she screamed her last words switching from first to second. Now she is a steady smoke blower, unwilling to produce boost, and if it is asked to, she screams the beloved metal on metal screetching noise.

When I removed the intake and accordian hose, I was successfully able to slide the shaft in and out quite a distance with ease, the turbine shaft would slide from side to side and touch the compressor walls.

Time to find a pre-owned CT26 for a good price for the time being and find a sutable successor.

I am thinking this. What are your thoughts?

Non polished compressor housing
TO4E approx 700HP
360 Deg Dynamic Thrust Bearing
Single Port Actuator
And ofcourse the stainless steel install kit with fittings.

http://www.suprasport.com/product.asp?itemid=317&catid=216

Here is a toast to my good old and faithfull CT26. May you rest in peace at 194,000 kms. :beer:

Mike Nikolai

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
best write up for a ct26 ever :) +1 as for the turbo depends on your goals, these turbos are not yet proven really in real world driving and i havent seen a compressor map yet for any of them. still they do look good and i bet they are gonna be sweet turbos.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
MKIIINA said:
best write up for a ct26 ever :) +1 as for the turbo depends on your goals, these turbos are not yet proven really in real world driving and i havent seen a compressor map yet for any of them. still they do look good and i bet they are gonna be sweet turbos.

for me its less the proven part but the fact that they are still internally gated...i personally DONT like that about them...
nice though...

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Why is the internal gate better? I heard ther external gates can hold bost like rocks, and the interal ones can have creeping problems.eric

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Stretch: It's not really a case of which is better it's more which turbo has been matched correctly.

If you use a tight AR on the turbine to make it spool faster you run the risk of overspeeding the turbo or getting creep/spikes and so on.

In the past plain bearing turbos took a bit of spooling to make things happen so this was the norm, with modern BB turbos you can run a looser AR and get the same spool so a big gate isn't needed to control things!

I ran an Ext gate on my 3040 as it had a .63 AR turbine housing and no way would I try that with an internal gate, the new 3540 has a 1.06 AR so I feel I can get away with the internal gate as well as it makes plumbing the exhaust easier on a RHD car.

Hope this helps.

GOT BOOST

Mar 30, 2005
Canada
www.supraclub.ca
Thank you everyone for your kind words and condolances. Just to give an update, I am temporarly installing a previously owned CT26 for the time untill I decide on what Turbo I am going to go with. As for the car, her nose is up on axle stands, and the old CT26 has been removed. I will be intalling the previously owned CT26 tomorrow. I figure by this time tomorrow I will be boosting again. The JBL Stainless Steel braided Oil Feed and Return lines that I bought last year sure made the turbo removal easier. =)

On a similar note, I had just removed my charcoal cannister. What are the side effects of leaving my charcoal cannister removed from the car permanantly?

A special thanks to Anthony to allowing me to buy his previously owned Turbo.

Thanks folks for the feedback on turbo reccomendations.

Mike Nikolai