ATTN: All 1/2 NA-T; 1JZ-GTE owners

Suprastic

Apr 8, 2005
Manitoba
Two year ago I dropped in a used (40000km) 7M-GE into my brothers NA due to the well known BHG. Now I own the car and wish we had done the turbo swap. I'm saving up for a swap to do over the winter. But what conversion do I do? 1/2 NA-T, NA-T, or 1JZ-GTE?

I'm concerned about availability for parts with the 1JZ-GTE and having to wait forever to get a replacement part if something failed on me. However, the 1JZ is definitley unique and looks awesome in the engine bay. How many aftermarket parts are availible for this engine? What type of HP can I expect to get out of it? I already know the potential for the 7M-GTE? Can the 1JZ do better? What kind of HP the 1/2 NA-T guys getting? I want to aim for 350-400HP when I do the conversion, with possible potential for more HP in the future. What is the best conversion... cost wise to reach this HP.

Which ever I decide to do I'd like to add aftermarket turbo, FMIC, and possibley internals. ie. forged pistons, valve springs, lifters, etc. when I do the swap. I will most likely do a complete rebuild before install.

A list of diferent types of turbo s that are availible for the 7M-GE and the 1JZ-GTE will also be very helpful.

What do you huys think? Your help is greatly appreciated and will help me research a more specific engine for parts. My key concern here is: Availibility of replacement parts, compared reliablility, and cost effectiveness to reach my wanted HP.

Thanks guys!

Suprastic

Apr 8, 2005
Manitoba
forgot one thing. does anyone have a link or part # for an 89+ crossmenber. the engine that is in the car now is from a 90 NA. I endid upi having to use the oil pan from the 87 engine to fit the 87 crossmember and make up some custom engine mounts.