am I scrwed or what??

doom26464

Research...research
Mar 31, 2005
Saskatoon SK, Canada
www.cardomain.com
well My supra has been leaking alot so My friend in mechanics class fixed the rad leak and flushed it out for me. But there were some other leaks, So I took it too a shop and he showed me my speedo clabel on my tranny was leaking, my rear end differental was leaking, and the rack and pinion was he was like it probaly cost u around 1,000 bucks to get fixed . so he goes and prices out everything and well it turns out to be $1,500. He said the parts arn't that much its just the labour for everything. So im kinda stuck now I guess I have to park it for most of the summer till i can come up with that cash becuases he said its probaly not a good idea to drive it becuases you will burn something out. So Im think after school I'll go to a different shop and c what they say and get them to top up the fluids in the tranny and rear end. So what do u guys think on this whole thing??? opions???

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
i would say... $30 max.. for the seal in the diff, if ya don't wanna repair ur rack get another one, i can't figure out how your speedo cable is leaking :dunno: i guess where it bolts onto the trannie?

to me.. it doesn't sound hard to do lol... i would stress bout it... is the trannie auto or manual? check the level in the auto while it's running, if it needs some, top it up

how much are you leaking? tons? or just drips..
i would say it wouldn't cost too much to do.. but i'll leave that to the natives on your side of the world to price accordingly ;)

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
yea leaks shouldnt be a big worry and $1500 for repair, lol that guys an idiot, do what everyone has said above. shouldnt be that hard to do.

doom26464

Research...research
Mar 31, 2005
Saskatoon SK, Canada
www.cardomain.com
suprra_girl said:
i would say... $30 max.. for the seal in the diff, if ya don't wanna repair ur rack get another one, i can't figure out how your speedo cable is leaking :dunno: i guess where it bolts onto the trannie?

to me.. it doesn't sound hard to do lol... i would stress bout it... is the trannie auto or manual? check the level in the auto while it's running, if it needs some, top it up

how much are you leaking? tons? or just drips..
i would say it wouldn't cost too much to do.. but i'll leave that to the natives on your side of the world to price accordingly ;)
everything is just tiny barly dripping excpet the rack and pinion wich is leaking liek carzy. got up this moring and there was a nice puddle under it. Its leaking where the speedo cable connects to the tranny and its a standard tranny.

Also what runs through the rack and pinion power steering fluid???? IF so where the hell do u poor power steering fluid in?? (I't doesn't seem to be in the same place as I poured power steering in my 88 N/a supra)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Remember this from your "depressing rant" thread?

IJ. said:
If your NA is clean and straight NA/T it!

You're finding out an NA on the market is pretty well worthless as everyone wants a GTE, at least with the NA you know it's never had enough power to hurt the subframes/mounts and so on! (less chance that a boy racer has owned it and flogged it to death)

IJ. said:
I don't quite understand then, Do you think you'll get enough for the NA to buy a GTE and fix any issues it's bound to have?

I'm not trying to be a prick here but a few of us tried to give you advice and maybe some of the other young guys will listen.

doom26464

Research...research
Mar 31, 2005
Saskatoon SK, Canada
www.cardomain.com
IJ. said:
Remember this from your "depressing rant" thread?

I'm not trying to be a prick here but a few of us tried to give you advice and maybe some of the other young guys will listen.
yeah I was waiting for that to come up... but I love my turbo targa about 100X more so im willing to put up with the grief she gives me

7MGTEJoe

Mar 31, 2005
Salinas, CA
Your power steering reservoir is that metal can behind the fan shroud, sitting to the right of your AFM and probably says "toyoda" on the cap.

Now would be a good time to learn how to wrench. Gather up some friends who know how to work on cars so you'll have people to help keep you out of trouble. Buy the TSRM for your year, the online version is nice but it's a little hard to access when you're working on the car. Take your time, pay attention when you disassemble things and follow the instructions in the TSRM.

If you learn how to wrench you'll always have a valuable skill and will be able to keep the supra up and running most of the time. If you are adamant about paying others to work on your car it's going to do a lot of garage pushups every time it breaks. You'll rarely drive it, get frustrated, eventually sell it, then bitch about how unreliable it was.

doom26464

Research...research
Mar 31, 2005
Saskatoon SK, Canada
www.cardomain.com
well i took it to another shop to get the tranny and rear end top up but he showed me its still full so there not even leaking majorly, as for the powersteering houses or rack and pinion its like an open wound that won't stop bleeding. SO i think i will focus manly on getting that one fixed for now.