Think I've got the BHG...

Playnine

May 23, 2005
Washington
Well, I think I've finally got the dreaded BHG. I have an 86.5 NA Supra, 138,000mi, and a few weeks ago it started overheating, and every time I saw the temp guage rise I would pull over and let it sit for a while. I replaced the thermostat, radiator cap, and then the radiator and it was still doing it. Then one day I was driving down a highway with no shoulder so I couldn't pull over when it started to overheat, so I just tried to make it to a place to pull over, and after a bit the temp dropped back to normal, and the temp would jump up and down every couple minutes, and after driving for a while my overflow container would be full. Then I thought it was just air trapped in my cooling system because I recently flushed my coolant, so I tried parking on a hill and letting it run for a while, and the bubbles just won't stop coming... I just don't know what else it could be.

Mk3 TurboS

No not a "Turbo A"
Mar 31, 2005
Australia
The stock temp gauge doesn't react as quick as your engine heats up. In other words each time you saw in about to get real hot, It already was real hot. On a good note now you can strip it down and build a 500hp monster! :icon_wink

smagnotta

SuprSal
Apr 5, 2005
WashPa
I know the feeling. If you don't know already: you can put the heater temperature in your car on 85 degrees and turn the fan on high. This will help the overheating when the gauge is in the red. Not great in hot weather as this will make it unbearable in the car - I know!

If you rebuild go with ARP bolts, metal head gasket, etc as seen in this forum.

For coolant go with Toyota red coolant and Redline Water Wetter. A great combo.

Good luck.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
albertmdh said:
ouch, should have compression tested before the expensive radiator...

ill never understand this...

PEOPLE! if you think you ave bhg... get a 25 dollar compression gauge from any local auto parts store...and do a damn compression test...nothing solid there? get a block tester from NAPA... see if gasses are mixed in...

not hard to diagnose this shit...

1sic7

owner of the 5 day mk3
Apr 2, 2005
Long Island NY
www.ifxcc.com
Idealsupra said:
ill never understand this...

PEOPLE! if you think you ave bhg... get a 25 dollar compression gauge from any local auto parts store...and do a damn compression test...nothing solid there? get a block tester from NAPA... see if gasses are mixed in...

not hard to diagnose this shit...

i know what you mean but then again some people just don't know

JT87NA

Mar 30, 2005
SLC, UT
Sonex2000 said:
How many times can the car overheat before youhave BHG?

The engine overheats because of a BHG...hot combustion gases end up getting into the cooling system and don't allow the cooling system to do its job. Later.

boost fiend

Banned
Jul 24, 2005
Rockford, Il
sounds like a bhg. but somedays ya just never know... could be anything. i test a lot of things before i rip into it. its just easier than spending money and finding out what you replaced is not the problem at all.

Wendigo

Ericsplosion
Jul 25, 2005
New Paltz NY
Along these same lines: Bought an 89 turbo a year ago, spun a bearing- installed JDM motor- after sitting all winter started car up- 15ish minutes into idle starts blowing white smoke, or during throttle up. BHG? after shut down a LOT of gurgling in and around radiator. Getting ready for comp test, then head tear down and rebuild with 1mm oversize valves and N/A cams (which is a whole different question). Help! Thanks, Eric