Intake Manifold

Mark3Supraholic

Zero State
Mar 31, 2005
California
I noticed on some 7M cars I've seen that they use some sort of forward facing postitioned throttle body intake manifold. Well I got to thinking maybe I'd want to do that eventually, so I did a little reading and found someone at 7Mpower.com mated the top half of a JZ manifold to a 7M lower half. Of the four or five I've seen, most have relocated alot of stuff around the bay. My biggest question in relocation is where the hell does the alternator go? A/C delete and replace w/alternator? custom made bracket? Power steering delete? I'm at a total loss as to how they went about that. Anyone know?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I modded mine and all that had to move was the battery to the hatch (I wanted to anyway)
My Manifold

Ron jtma71 makes a manifold that leaves just about everything untouched but the alternator (he provides a drop down bracket I believe)

And there was another guy on the old forum that was doing much the same at very reasonable rates.

Last edited:

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
From what I've seen people used to remove the A/C and drop the alternator down. Fortunately, like IJ said, the more recent designs just shift the alternator down a little and leave the A/C alone. Which is the way I would prefer to go.

evilone

they call me Tatter Salad
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Worth
if you go to turboboss.com, he makes a front facing manifold and new throttle body.you dont have to move the alternator and it still clears the hood.this is the setup i am puytting in my drag supra. i can tell you it works great from driving his car and it definatly out flows the stock manifold.

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
Ron does make adsolutely beautiful products, and he offers two kinds.
I would have to recomend him over Turboboss.
Although the long runner version clears the alternater with only a drop down bracket, I'd recomend going with a short runner, large plenum design and do your accessories mkiv style.
The alt moves to the power steering pump location, and the power steering pump sits stationary right on top of the AC compressor. all that is needed is some custom high pressure lines for the power steering components and that only cost me $30 at the local fitting supply store. That and brackets.

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
I'll work on it, It's still in prototype state, as the block is at the machinest.
It'll be a while, but I'll post pics once it's together.
I'm also contemplating putting a three stage dry sump pump in the cavity where the stock pump drive shaft goes.

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
MARK...
I'd be careful about modifing the upper intake manifold unless you are not planning to smog it, or have an alternative smog station to go to. You'll have problems at a lot of smog stations if it doesn't look 100% stock.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
you guys are making this wayyyy to complicated...

in all reality the simple solutions like what ron has made with the drop down of the alternator and the short runners is the perfect setup...

of course if you dont care about AC you could do that ...but otherwise the other soultions are creating a lot of extra work for the same result...IMO

J

JerzeySlowpra

i use to have pics of rons product in my inbox that i could've posted on the old SM but some dick had to mess everything up

Mark3Supraholic

Zero State
Mar 31, 2005
California
Thanks for all the input. I read the replies and looked at the engine and a dropdown alternator bracket seems like a very simple, very feasible solution. A/C doesn't matter to me as my Compressor clutch died very shortly after I bought the car some 2 1/2 years ago (makes a bad whining sound when A/C is turned on). And I don't think smog will be too big of an issue. I know a couple of alternatives to a standard smog/repair station.

DEFIANT 7M

101MM stroke of INSANITY!
Mar 30, 2005
Nashville/Miami
Here is a formula if anyone wants to figure runner length. 97000 / peak rpm (goal HP @? rpm). IE: 300hp @ 5900 rpm--- 97000/5900= a runner length of 16.4 inches. Do we have any flow numbers on these diferent intake setups? What looks good may not be good at all..

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
Did anyone notice the mkIV spread in the latest issue if modified? It had a manifold setup very similiar to the stock 7m turbo. Looks like maybe they modified a N/A manifold but the guy was making some big numbers with the setup. I'm curious why he didn't use a front facing version from the turbo model.
Brian W-88T

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
You can make big numbers with that set up. That’s not the primary problem that the forward facing intake attempts to solve. Making the intake, front facing makes the intake track shorter, and simpler thus improving throttle response. There isn't a lot of piping the turbo has to pressurize. On additional note the shorter piping can help the power a little by allowing less area for the intake air to pickup ambient engine bay heat. But you can still make big numbers. So if your just a dyno queen then you don't really need it. But on the street or on the track it's nice to have.

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
So, I had a saved pm form a guy who makes them on this site. They go for $500 if I remember correctly. And they came with the drop-down bracket for the alt. You know who you are!!!Can you post the pics of the 3 styles again cause I may want one very soon.
eric