E-Code HID Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

spipedong

Level 2 Rythym Rogue
Apr 2, 2005
Eugene, OR
Here is some information I said I would post for Drake.

I have/had E-Code HID headlights in my supra and they are great. The car has been stolen and until it's recovered I don't know whether I still have them or not.
Anyways, rule 1 is ALWAYS BUY QUALITY PARTS. I can't stress that enough; when you're buying important parts that affect your safety and the safety of others, don't skimp.

Please note that you do lose your high beams with this modification, although I can say that I didn't miss them with a beam 4 lanes wide, 50 feet long, and 3 feet high :)
To pull this little modification off, I started with the housings. After some careful consideration european style E-Code housings were the way to go. ECE beam patterns have a decidedly sharp horizontal cutoff and right hand flares to illuminate road signs. DO NOT BUY JDM HEADLIGHTS, they are made for left-hand traffic and their flares go the wrong way (into oncoming traffic) when used in the US. I went with hella E-Code 6054 housings designed to accomodate a standard H4 bulb. I later tried some "autopal" brand E-Code lights from ebay and had the exact same results with those. The build wasn't up to Hella standards, but it was pretty respectable for a $27 pair of H4 conversion housings. The beam pattern was quite good with halogens as well.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33710&item=7976901461&rd=1

AVOID DIAMOND CUT CRAP LIKE THE PLAGUE!

Next I needed some bulbs. I wanted OEM quality, and the best way to get that was OEM equipment. In order to fit D2R bulbs into an H4 housing you need some adapters. The added benefit of these is that they shield the bottom half of the bulb from the reflector which creates (a) a cutoff line and (b) no upward glare since the bottom of the bulb is what reflects upward from the headlight. These shields can be obtained from Caspers Electronics. http://www.casperselectronics.com/ They are somewhat expensive but the quality is great. There are cheaper imitations on ebay which work pretty well but rumor has it that they don't preserve the proper arc location on the HID bulb.

With the adapters selected, I just needed some bulbs to slide into them. All OEM HID bulbs (currently) have the same connector and same ballasts. The only difference is on the bulb glass itself.

D2R bulbs are the ones with a small metal band around the lower part of the bulbs. They are used in OEM reflector style HID systems. (Acura TL, Volvo XC90/S60R, Prius, etc).

D2S bulbs are designed to be used in projectors and lack the metal glare ring. They are slightly brighter by a couple hundred lumens but at the expense of glare.

Since I was trying to build a reflector HID system I chose phillips 4500K D2R bulbs. When I got them they were stamped 5000K but I can't really tell the difference.

Last, definitely not least are the ballasts. These are the most important components in the whole system. They ensure that your bulb ignites and remains in constant arc during operation. I got a great deal on some ballasts from ebay. They were Matsushita (OEM Nissan/Infiniti) ballasts installed into weatherproof housings by a now-defunct company at http://www.rmhid.com. The seller's name on ebay is espperformance and (at the time) he had many sets of their ballasts. I got a pair for $88 shipped. Usually a single ballast will cost you that much. Make note of the ignitor style and location of your ballast. The ballast -> ignitor wire can be extended, but the ignitor -> bulb wire is all you get. If your ballast has integrated ignitor, you may have a tough time mounting it in such a way that the headlights can still pivot.

Luckily my ballasts were mountable in the engine bay and had seperate ignitors. I ran wires from the engine bay through the stock grommets into the headlight buckets, and my ignitor happened to mount perfectly on the headlight cover with double-stick tape after removing it with a screwdriver.

Power was also easy. It's important to the life of both bulbs and ballasts to have proper amperage. I ran my wires straight to the 15 amp fuses in the engine fuse box. Each side has its own fuse and power wire. This also bypasses the headlight dimmer switch so whether the brights or the low beams are on you still have constant power to the lamps. The ballasts are grounded to th chassis.

Hope that helps.

spipedong

Level 2 Rythym Rogue
Apr 2, 2005
Eugene, OR
You may have gotten some good ones. The couple sets I've seen were terrible.

I also wanted to reiterate to anybody and everybody that you will have trouble mounting everything if you don't have a ballast with seperate ignitor. The ignitors are small and fit easily up and behind the reflector within the rotating headlight assembly.

Ballasts with built in ignitors don't have enough wire length between them and the socket to accomodate the pivot of the lights, and they're too big to mount inside the housings.

With a seperated system the ballast goes in the engine area, you run as much wire as you need in the stock headlight harness, mount the ignitor in the housing, and then you're nice and close to the bulb for your limited length ignitor->bulb run.

macsupra76

May 17, 2005
Calgary AB
I might try this! yo can get whole ballest and bulb sets from ebay, for a resanable price , might go with the infinty sets. spipedong, do u have any pics of your hid setup?

spipedong

Level 2 Rythym Rogue
Apr 2, 2005
Eugene, OR
Have some pics guys:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?p=29378#post29378

Unfortunately cameras do absolutely no justice to headlights. They show up blue when they're really a lot more purple. I've tried to get the camera to acknowledge this, so most of the pics are fairly accurate.

Also, cameras meter light based on the average amount of light entering the lens. The extremely bright light tends to throw the meter off and thusly there's no "middle ground" brightness. It's either headlight bright or completely dark. The lights illuminate quite a bit more than it's possible to show with a camera.

And here's a quick teaser so you actually look at the link :D

IMG_3807.sized.jpg

lilazni3uoy

AEM Powered
Apr 1, 2005
NoRCaL and SoCaL
www.cardomain.com
i have a set of McCulloch hid 6000k hi/lo beam system with HELLA H4 housings this is the kit to look for if u want to have high beam, of course the high beam is still a halogen bulb but the hid kit itself is already a big differenece from the sealed beams i love using these guys they are great and everything love them, people seem to like my hid's to

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.