What kind of power can a W58 handle?

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
well i know that the w58 was eattin when Dr.j put it in his car when he went from NA-T, it only lasted like 6 months. and for peeps who have done the 2jz swap, the r154 didnt last long either. so the w58 prolly isnt going to last you long unless you go really really gental on it.
in the nutshell the w58 probably wont hold 350hp to long.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
dr jonez has a heavy ass foot, was running a CM stage IV clutch (NOT street friendly) and was putting out about 400ish hp through the w58. from my knowledge, it wasnt rebuilt either, so it was probably high mileage.

as long as you dont beat the piss out of it constantly, it can probably hold power for a while. i've got the w58 in my turbo swapped car. i love it. silky smooth.:)

-shaeff

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
IMO itll hold to about 2 billion wheel horsepower. 58 billion whp if you shift like your mom.

yeah as has been stated before drjonez ran the w58 at ~400 horsepower till it blew up.

i am running the w58 also, and will do so until it blows up.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
rakkasan said:
I haven't been able to locate a R154 locally, so I'm thinking about using a W58 since I'm probably going to stop at 350hp. Any input?

yo rak! i have a perfectly good r154 here for sale!!! you should have told me you wanted it lol...

just an FYI...with the tranny swap youll need to buy a different slave cylinder...i THINK thats the only difference with the w58s and the r154s...other then the clutch/pressure plates...

anyways let me know...

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
heh. a few misconceptions about my car w/the W58, i'll clear them up:

-my W58 had 170k on it @ the time of the turbo conversion.
-i burned through several clutches- stock, scott mech, RPS turbo carbon claw, finally settled on a CM stage 4.
-the W58 held up great to 310rwhp for at least 2 yrs.
-the W58 held 460rwhp for about 6 mo before finally disintegrating on the freeway.
-final mileage was 206k or so.
-yes, i have a heavy foot. though i never really launched the car @ the strip and never ran DRs w/the W58.

IMSHO, the W58 is a far better trans. it shifts smoothly and is great to drive. the R154 is far clunkier (is that a word?) and just doesn't make the driving experience as nice. my current power level + driving style necessitate the R154.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Wow, lots o props for the W58? DR J, do you think that it would survive 350rwhp? How hard is it to find a good clutch?

Ideal, you'de better hurry with that list of what you have for the R154 conversion..... :biggrinbo

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
rakkasan said:
Wow, lots o props for the W58? DR J, do you think that it would survive 350rwhp? How hard is it to find a good clutch?

Ideal, you'de better hurry with that list of what you have for the R154 conversion..... :biggrinbo

it really depends how the trans was treated prior to you owning it.....and on how you will treat it. the thing that sux about using the W58 is that you MUST get a fairly hardcore clutch....and that makes driveability suck, etc....that and they are expensive.

Last edited:

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
well i guess i knew 1/5 of Dr.j's book "how to kill a W58 in 6 months",
ok well rak there you have it.

Allan_MA70

Banned
May 1, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
drjonez said:
the thing that sux about using the W58 is that you MUST get a fairly hardcore clutch....and that makes driveability suck, etc....that and they are expensive.

issue solved...

clutch0.jpg

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
rak...im assuming for conversion you mean from the w58 you have in the car already to the r154?

if thats so...then you would simply need to buy your choice of clutch and pressure plate setup, and a new slave cylinder (like $35 i think from any auto parts store), and then the tranny itself.....i BELIEVE thats it...can anyone else confirm those are the only differences?

so just let me know if youre interested...we can work something out...

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
rakkasan said:
Nope, I have an Auto, so I need it 'all'

well...in that case lol...i MIGHT have a full conversion kit...i have to talk to me friend to see if i can let go some of the parts he wanted...im pretty sure he will say ok...

if he says ok...i have a FULL kit...EXCEPT you would need to get a new MASTER cylinder as the one i have is busted.... ($40ish)... id be looking for $500 for the full conversion set...everything you need to swap to the manual... including the stock pressure plate and clutch (used obviously)

let me know if youre seriously interested in it and ill talk to my friend and see what i can do...id MUCH rather get rid of it all to one person then have to find random people for random parts lol

S

Studio1

drjonez said:
it really depends how the trans was treated prior to you owning it.....and on how you will treat it. the thing that sux about using the W58 is that you MUST get a fairly hardcore clutch....and that makes driveability suck, etc....that and they are expensive.

I notice your comment about the requirement for a hard-core clutch.

Is this still necessary if running stock boost levels etc?

I'm about to put my engine etc into a new rolling body and I have a W58 sitting here which I'm keen to throw in as well to convert to manual while I'm doing the job.