drag racers. step inside

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
ok i'm having some problems with the supra. i just ran a 14.2@110mph. i know thisi s shitty. and yes i'm on street tires

here are my questions..

where is the sweet spot on the 7m; when i'm racing i'll shift at like 6300 and the car suonds like it's going to blow up. also how are you guys shifting?

what's a good tire to run with for both street and strip? nitto555's??

and other advice would be great.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
in all honesty it tends to depends on mods to the 7m... stock turbos and the upgraded ct's kinda start to die off up top around the 5200-5500 mark... so i usually shift around there anyways...

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
yea right now i'm running an upgraded stocker. i think i should have shifted at likr 5500 or so. cause when i was driving down the freeway, i was shifting at that range and the car felt really strong. (this was on the way home)

oneandgone

40R 6 SPD SC3
I haven't raced mine but a couple times, but this is what I do...

Drive around the water box and do a small burnout to clean the tires a bit. Slip the clutch in first if possible to keep traction. If you're hooking through second give er hell, if you're not hooking you'll need to keep from flooring it all the way in second. After that just try to avoid taking your foot completely off the gas when shifting. I shift about 6500, but it's all going to depend on your turbo. You'll want to shift before you get out of it's powerband. Street tires suck at the strip imo.

Hope that helps a bit. By your MPH I'd say you must've spun the crap outta the tires!

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
i ran a 14.3 @ 99mph on a stock ct vs a local guy w/ basically the same mods. i got the jump off the line and was able to beat him. he went back a few times and ran a 14.2 by the end of the day but it took some doing. what psi are you running on that upgrade? also did you deflate your tires at all?

B

Boostaddctn

malloynx said:
ok i'm having some problems with the supra. i just ran a 14.2@110mph. i know thisi s shitty. and yes i'm on street tires

here are my questions..

where is the sweet spot on the 7m; when i'm racing i'll shift at like 6300 and the car suonds like it's going to blow up. also how are you guys shifting?

what's a good tire to run with for both street and strip? nitto555's??

and other advice would be great.

Check these videos out:
http://dziuggy.com/x/BAS-sac-3-26-2005.wmv
http://dziuggy.com/x/bas-sac-3-26-05-long.wmv
Maroon car= Dziuggy, White car= Mine :)

I did a 13.5@107.8mph with a stock turbo, with intake and exhaust @12psi w/ nitto555r's. What I do is I would go around the water box and do a small little burnout to get the rocks and shit off the tires and line up. I launch at 5krpm which seems to be the sweet spot for my car, but with these nitto555rs I am getting a little wheel hop, hopefully Mick. Thompsons will help out :cool: and from there I would shift at about 6200- 6300rpm, if you feel like you are just spinning the tires, back off the throttle a little then get back on it. I am going back to work on my 60' soon to get into the 12s... good luck, aight peace

- Bert

edit: I shift as smoothly and fast as I can :)
ps- BAS= all about drag racing :)

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
crap dood thats a really high mph for 14.2
good launch that would have been low 13's or so.
what was your 60'? like 2.5?

bfg drag radials have a lot more grip than the nittos, but the bfg will wear out a lot quicker on the street. the nittos are more grippy than the avg street tire tho. just play around w/ air pressure and practice on your launch. usually 1/10 sec in 60' means 2/10 sec in 1/4 et.

good luck

dave

outofstep

Mar 31, 2005
fwb
Get some decent tires. Your trap is great. All you need to do is get a decent launch. A great thing to do is get adjustable endlinks, makes it easy to connect/disconnect. Disconnect the front swaybar while you're at the track. Also put a rubber spring helper in the back right spring. It's kinda like running an air bag, the hella ghetto version.

Shim your wastegate, that's the only reason power drops above 5k. With your wastegate nice and shimmed you'll hold till redline.

Don't shift at 5200, god lord that's some horrid advice...

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
I know we have many forums as it is, but how about a drag race area? There are many issues such as clutch/tire/suspension setups to discuss relative to MA70 chassis. It would be great to have it all in one spot. The handful of people that actually drag the A70 can offer advice to the masses about techniques.

Perhaps combine drag/autox/road race into a single "track tech forum".

Just an idea.

B

Boostaddctn

935motorsports said:
I know we have many forums as it is, but how about a drag race area? There are many issues such as clutch/tire/suspension setups to discuss relative to MA70 chassis. It would be great to have it all in one spot. The handful of people that actually drag the A70 can offer advice to the masses about techniques.

Perhaps combine drag/autox/road race into a single "track tech forum".

Just an idea.

Drag racing and autox/roadracing are 2 completly different forms :( it would break my heart to see the 2 combined into 1 section :( aight peace

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
thanks for the advice guys.. just to let you know i'm not new to drag racing. i can cut a 1.6 60ft. with my camaro with ease. this supra is a whole different story.

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
here's the breakdown. i don't have a scanner.

60ft...2.9
1/8 ...9.7
MPH...86.20
1/4...14.2
mph. 110.12

silver88turbo

Former Owner
Mar 30, 2005
Illinois
Yea...you need tires man. If you have TEMS you can play around with the front/back dampening settings. One of the biggest probs is the IRS....As weight transfers, the ass squats and the camber goes more positive, reducing the contact patch. If you were real hardcore you could try to figure how much the car squats and adjust the rear camber so that in the squatting position the rear tires have 0 camber. :)

And Outofstep, can you explain how disconnecting the front sway bar helps?

outofstep

Mar 31, 2005
fwb
silver88turbo said:
Yea...you need tires man. If you have TEMS you can play around with the front/back dampening settings. One of the biggest probs is the IRS....As weight transfers, the ass squats and the camber goes more positive, reducing the contact patch. If you were real hardcore you could try to figure how much the car squats and adjust the rear camber so that in the squatting position the rear tires have 0 camber. :)

And Outofstep, can you explain how disconnecting the front sway bar helps?

Forgot that one. Dial in a degree or two of positive camber out back, that way when it squats you'll go zero and have a larger contact patch. Most folks usualy have negative camber running around on the street, so when they launch it just makes the contact patch that much worse.

The sway bar helps keep the axle parallel with the body of the vehicle. Disconnecting them allows the axle free-er movement, aiding in weight transfer to the back.

J

JerzeySlowpra

13.5s with just stock turbo and intake thats pretty awesome, i ran a 14.3@100mph with 13.5-14lbs of boost but it was cold i hit fuel cut every run and my launch was HORRBILE i didnt figure out how to launch good on the track 5k launch? isnt thats pretty high? then again i dont know i usually race on the streets and i've beaten alot of known mid 13 second cars around here but i usually only launch at 2800 on the streets but anyway my 60 time was 2.4 and thats horrible on top of the fuel cut so i know theres alot more in my car, what do you guys usually launch at on the track?

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
That's a hell of a trap speed, malloy. You can run 12s with that trap.
I launch just under 5K with as much slip as I can give it and still launch hard.
I run street tires deflated to 17 psi or so. around the water box and a quick warm up is good. If your tires are bald, then hit the water box full on.
I shift around 6K, but it's honestly different in each gear.
Shimming the gate is nice, but I shimmed it with three THICK washers, and although I hit 19 psi in fifth, I still lose boost over 5K at the track. I'l hit 18 off the line and hold it untill I hit 5K in 2nd.
I'm afraid that if I shim it enough to hold boost at the track, I'm going to have spikes around 25 psi in town, and I can't have that.
Launching as I described, I've managed 1.9 sec 60 ft times with stock, blown, non tems suspension.
With Tein HAs, I've managed 2.0, but I've only had the car out once, and that was with Heidi and I both in the car.
I had the Front Teins set at 8 out of 16 for firmness, and rears set to 11 out of 16.
with the rears set any softer, I experienced wheel hop, I might try them a little firmer next time and see if I can get into the 1.8 sec range.
Bear in mind these times are on 245/50ZR16 sumitomo HTR+ W rated tires with a treadwear of 360.
With stickier tires, you should be able to do 1.9s easilly.
I managed a 13.3 @98 mph, so I can guarantee you 12s if you get out of the hole.
Good luck!

Last edited: