Turbo 1UZ V8 into Mk3 - Link To Pics

streetknight

rip ssb
Mar 30, 2005
melbourne, fl
ok group a is a rare supra their were only about 500 built they were for race use only. out of those 500 prbably only a few were sold to the general public.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
That sucks that another Turbo A bit it. Its a cool swap I guess. Thats the motor from a LS400 right? What turbo are you going with?

SuprAng

Garage Queen VV
Apr 4, 2005
Toronto, ON
good luck getting turbos on that thing, even the sc400s the only turbo conversions have been done with the turbos mounted under the car. keep us posted with your progress.

Sucks that you did it to a turbo A, but whatever, while rare, theyre not that great.

Ang

1ndecent

May 22, 2005
SuprAng said:
good luck getting turbos on that thing, even the sc400s the only turbo conversions have been done with the turbos mounted under the car. keep us posted with your progress.

Sucks that you did it to a turbo A, but whatever, while rare, theyre not that great.

Ang

Check out www.lextreme.com , there are plenty of turbo conversions around with either single or twin turbos sitting high at the front of the engine bay.

1ndecent

May 22, 2005
Crossmember isn't fitted yet. I have dropped the car onto it to see how it lines up. There will be alot of fabrication required to get it in. Once I receive my bellhousing I will know the exact position I need to put the cross member and I can get started on the brackets. I will post more pics as the project progresses.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
im just wandering did you not have access to buy a plain turbo model and go from there, or did you mean to put this in the A model?
i wanna see your #s when you get this finished looks sweet.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
We have a great turbo mounting postion.
Where the rear muffler goes. (Just takes some creative oil routing and a scavange pump to return it to the pan, but lag with a V8 is not a problem, and you can run a larger turbo, like a GT40 and still have tons of off the line tourqe with a top end that would be insane.)

Guys are running this setup on V8 Camaro/Firebird platforms, and seeing very nice street HP numbers. (Like a 900hp SS Camaro? Totally stock looking. Just replaced the rear muffler with a turbo, and single exhaust pipe. Ends up being not as loud as the guys running flowmasters.)

No intercooler either. Says the long run from the turbo to the engine under the car cools down the compressed air quite well. Air intake filter is in the back of the car BTW. The 900hp car is using a standalone computer, but on stock stuff, 450+ is easy to attain.

I'd think in the Supra chassis, a similar setup would be awesome.

Besides, the turbo in the rear helps to offset the weight you just added over the front axle. (If you used an alluminum V8 like the Toyota one, I'd bet the total added weight would be minimal compared to the 7MGTE.) Anyone have the weight figures for these two motors? Also I see he's put the alloy crossmember into the MA70 chassis. So that helps too. (only if you live where RHD is used.)

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
You have a turbo A???

Holy cow!

:love:

And If I am reading this right, your mounting the turbo(es) in the rear of the car near the exhaust? That to me would be the optimal place...since that would develope less heat and more room to work with...

is this going to be TWIN turbo or a big single?

-Jonathan

PS: Reminds me of the older porsche racing cars with the gigantic twins sticking out the rear....LOL

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
No, the rear mounted turbo setup I was talking about is being used on F body cars at this time. There are a few others, but basicly they put the turbo in the rear of the vehicle, and route pipes up front to feed the motor.

I've seen this done on GM cars, using the AFM in a blow through configuration, and it works great.

Takes a 375hp V8 SS Camaro, and pretty much lays down 450+hp with very few other mods. (Stock rwhp is in the range of 295 to 305 from what I've seen, and they then put down 450+ rwhp on the same stock motor.) I think the highest stock engine is just under 500rwhp at this time. I don't know how much more that engine can take, but the compression ratio is too high to run much more boost on 100 octane fuel.

On that same note, the lower compression Chevy truck V8's are actually better at being pressure fed. There is a Silverado truck with a stock LS3 V8 making over 650rwhp. (All wheel HP actually.) Very sick amounts of power, and not nearly as expensive as building up a 650hp 7M or Lexus V8 from what I can see.

Ultimate build from parts off the shelf would be a 7L LS7 V8, in alluminum, with 8.5:1 CR forged pistons and one nice GT40 turbo back where the muffler resides.
Use aluminum for the pipes, put the intake filter into the left quarter panel, with a nice vent in the side to feed it cool air, or close up the box, and vent it to the underside of the car.

Everything would fit under the stock hood, and place the engine back in the chassis somewhat, with the extra turbo weight over the rear wheels where it would help out with balance.

Anyone want to build a 50k MK3 Supra? LOL That's about what this would take to be done right, but it would be a very fast car indeed.