Fluydine vs. Flex-A-Lite

wikdMK3

Apr 29, 2005
Springfield,VA
i recently bought a MKIII supra n/a, 89 to be exact. i want to get an electric fan setup but im not sure which one to get. fluydine has one, its one big 14in fan setup that i found for about 130. then i also found the flex-a-lite setup which is dual setup but not sure on the sizes of the fans, and is about 360. trying to get some imput on which one to buy based on quality and performance

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
Ive had someone tell my that adding electric fans to these MK3's can cause cooling problems, especially at high way speeds. Has anyone had this experience or is it totally false? Thanks

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
at high way speeds you can turn the fans off.

electric fans will be a problem only if: they are not rated at a high enough flow rate

or, your cooling system has problems to begin with. and in that case, the electric fans have nothing to do with your problem.

so whoever told you that they would be a problem "especially at highway speeds" you should tell to STFU. :icon_razz

this person is just spouting out BS and misinfo to you. the air flowing in from outside at HIGHWAY speeds will be more than enough to cool your engine water.

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
Electric fan will work just fine on a N/A, I ran a Permacool for 4 years on mine. For turbo cars with large intercoolers in hot weather with the AC on you probably will experience overheating. I enjoyed my Permacool, cost ~$100.

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
I experienced problems with my BM150 fan only if I left it on at highway speeds and it would overheat. Cruising around town it worked well. I finally stopped screwing with it and now I use a Tundra fan clutch. OMFG that thing pulls air!!!

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
If you haven't bought yet, check this out. http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1100&prmenbr=361

All posts above are accurate. I run electric here in the desert, but I took it a step further, I added a 10x15" trans cooler in front of the radiator and tied into the coolant at the small by-pass hose under the thermo housing. I got a 45% increase in 'radiator capacity'. You see, its 100* plus here in summer, so a/c is always on.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
mrnickleye - did you use the 16" fan? (the $80 one?)

-shaeff

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
shaeff said:
mrnickleye - did you use the 16" fan? (the $80 one?)

-shaeff

I used the 14" bacause it fit right on. With the new valve job, radiator, 180* thermostat, cap, hoses, added cooler, so far it has not gotten over 190*. Temp gage sit below the 1/2 way. I've pushed it hard on several 95* days with the a/c on, gage rose a tiny bit, but up tp 1/2. The fans, all three (2 little factory 6" ones kick on) run when a/c compressor is on.

I've taken it up to 133mph on a long stretch of back roads (4 miles). Was still climbing when a stop sign was coming up, so had to let off. Car never got up to 1/2. The gage is accurate because i've checked the temp with other gages.

PynkEye

Mar 30, 2005
mk3forme said:
Ive had someone tell my that adding electric fans to these MK3's can cause cooling problems, especially at high way speeds. Has anyone had this experience or is it totally false? Thanks

oh my god !!!!! what ???? your fan dosnt work at highway speeds lol...fans are made to work in traffic and when there is not enough airflow going threw your radiator thus the fan creaating that airflow to cool down your rad.

lol...thats the funniest shit I ever heard...must be from some :gotrice: