stock lsd, how do you it has it?

Toycoma

Four Door Drifter
Apr 2, 2005
new jersey
how do i know if the car has or had an LSD? i know of three supras in a junk yard and i want to take the guts out of the center and put them in a cressida center that i am going to buy from there as well. then aleast my lsd problem is solved for a little while even if it isnt the best its better then nothing.

Mk3 TurboS

No not a "Turbo A"
Mar 31, 2005
Australia
A lot of cressidas here in Aus had the same LSD as the MA70 supra's. Im guessing it would be the same in the US. But an easy way to tell is check the Identification plate in the Engine bay. I tottally forget the numbers/letters you are looking for but someone will surely post them up. They were on the Old Supramania web site. The Numbers/letters aloso refer to wether its a Torsen/4 point LSD and what ratio they are......

Anyone got the info somewhere still?

Toycoma

Four Door Drifter
Apr 2, 2005
new jersey
Mk3 TurboS said:
an easy way to tell is check the Identification plate in the Engine bay. I tottally forget the numbers/letters you are looking for but someone will surely post them up.
yeah, since all of these cars are sitting in the dirt, I need to know if its a diff before i jack it up and pull the center out.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
All Turbos have LSD.
Some N/A's have LSD, check the data tag in the engine bay (on pre-89 models) or in the door jam (89+ models), check the axle code, it will be G282 or G284 for non-LSD, or G285 for LSD.

Toycoma

Four Door Drifter
Apr 2, 2005
new jersey
Jeff Lange said:
All Turbos have LSD.
Some N/A's have LSD, check the data tag in the engine bay (on pre-89 models) or in the door jam (89+ models), check the axle code, it will be G284 for non-LSD, or G285 for LSD.
so i dont even need to look at the center just look in the door or on the cowl depending on the year. thanks.

streetknight

rip ssb
Mar 30, 2005
melbourne, fl
the other way is to look at the diff it self they some times still have visible stickers that say lsd. i have gone to a few junkyards and u can still read them.

on another note i love the way ur car looks.

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
Toycoma: The stock LSD will only work well for about 6 months with frequent drifting (~2 hours a week of slide time). Mine lasted 1 year with 6 months downtime on the '87 (and in that 6 months the '87 was down I went through 2 stock lsd's on the '84). Just a heads up cause I can tell by your video you'll be using it often...

PIONEER

Wallet Wide Open
Mar 30, 2005
Raleigh, Nc
toycoma, You'r gonna try to put the Supra guts in the cressida housing?

From what I've been told and what I've seen on my MX83 and the A70 supra Diffs, they are 2 different sizes.

If you want 3.73 LSD, Get it out of a MKII Supra and fit it in the Cressida Diff.

Or you can go with the Supra Diff all togather and modify the crossmember holes and get spacers.

Or if somehow you can get the Supra Guts to fit inside the Cressida Diff, SHARE with me cause I'ld like to do it.

Pictures below are of a Supra 3.73 on a 90 Cressida Crossmember

diff.JPG

difffront.JPG

difftop.JPG

difftop2.JPG

diffside.JPG

Toycoma

Four Door Drifter
Apr 2, 2005
new jersey
PIONEER said:
toycoma, You'r gonna try to put the Supra guts in the cressida housing?

From what I've been told and what I've seen on my MX83 and the A70 supra Diffs, they are 2 different sizes.

If you want 3.73 LSD, Get it out of a MKII Supra and fit it in the Cressida Diff.

Or you can go with the Supra Diff all togather and modify the crossmember holes and get spacers.

Or if somehow you can get the Supra Guts to fit inside the Cressida Diff, SHARE with me cause I'ld like to do it.
the cress and ma70 guts should interchange since ATS makes a diff and the part number is the same across the board. a MKII diff is 7.5 inches and the MA70 is 8" the MX83 is 8" while the MX73 is 7.5" therefore the MKIII diff should work in the MX83 but thats why I will be buying a cressida center section and MKIII center to swap it all over and make sure.

Toycoma

Four Door Drifter
Apr 2, 2005
new jersey
Allan_MA70 said:
you live in the U S of A go get a detroit locker or a TruTrack.. HINT: G series was also a diff fitted to HI-LUX's and other toyota "trucks"
lockers are no good for autocross and drifting (drifting maybe) the Trutrack is a torsen style diff which isnt going to be a two way or atleast not work good like a two way. I could probably get a regular TRD lsd for the s runner tacoma but that is probably just a one way and would be a waste of money so right now, being the broke mofo i am, i am going to try and find a junk yard lsd, if i dont, i will buy the other cress diff and weld it up for now.

Toycoma

Four Door Drifter
Apr 2, 2005
new jersey
PIONEER said:
double check, I think the Cressida rear end is a 7.5. The 2 sitting side by side look different too.
I am almost 100 percent positive the MX83 is 8" because Projectxxx has a 7.5 diff for a MX73 and he said it wont work in the MX83 and he is trying to sell it so why would he tell me it doesnt work? when i get to work i will look on the ATS site and see if it says the size of the diff.