Hesitation up to 4K

RIPDOTCOM

May 22, 2005
Tallahassee, FL
I just picked up a 88 Supra N/A last week. It was only running on 4 cylinders when i got it but I fixed that and have done the following.

Fuel Filter Replacement
VAF/AFM (Whatever you guys call it) cleaning
Seafoam (Intake and fuel system)
Air Filter Replacement
Wires
Plugs
Timing 10BTDC (Not sure if that is the correct setting)
Fixed all vacuum leaks
Set idle to 750
Complete cleaning of galley ways on head, Blew out all kinds of crap that could possibly ground a plug out and it is super clean in there.
O2 Sensor replacement
Removed Primary resonator (cracked) and connected stock muffler.

When i take off the car hesitates real bad till i hit about 4K then it takes off. The power seems to be there and if i drive it hard there isnt much of a problem. Highway cruising is erratic (kind of chugs) and it simply seems like it's missing somewhere. I will check the fuel pressure next weekend and do a compression test but This is ridiculous. I mean it hauls ass and cruising at 100Mph is like being in a caddilac. I really want to get this car running properly and want to pop headers, intake and exhaust on it but obviously need to fix this problem. THe only other thing I can think to tell you is that the exhaust sounds funny under idle exactly like put,put,put,put,put and misses one every few revolutions.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

RIPDOTCOM

May 22, 2005
Tallahassee, FL
Pulled the distributor today, cleaned all contacts inside with crc. All contacts are rust and corrosion free. I put 6oz of lucas injector cleaner in along with a little more seafoam. Checked the timing 3 times. 10*BTDC it is starting to idle smoother and you can hardly tell it's running when at a stop light. Very smooth but the accelleration hesitation is consistent. Should I change the NGK coppers to platinum?

P

PunaMKlll

i had a similar problem but a little worse it was the TPS (throttle position sensor).hope u dont have to change it, its $170 i think.

i contine to have a little hesitation untill 4k and kinda bad mpg if u fix ur problem id lik to know how you did.

RIPDOTCOM

May 22, 2005
Tallahassee, FL
I can't believe it. It was a spark plug. I just replaced them and it must have got smushed when i was setting the crank timing. Damn thing rides like a champ now. Man, 6 cylinders feels a lot better than 5 :) Fast car. Now it's time to get it painted. Any recommendations for franchise paint jobs? Maaco, Spray Glo etc...

Thanks for all the help, it feels good to come into a forum and get fast intelligent responses.