Getting owned by 1 popup non stop..

ShagsSupra

Banned
Mar 30, 2005
Wilmington NC
Ive downloaded alot of popup blockers and spyware/adware removers and spybot removers and I keep getting owned by 1 popup NON stop and cant figure out what to do :(

suggestions??? im to the point of reformatting AGAIN.

Mark3Supraholic

Zero State
Mar 31, 2005
California
What is it? Do you use Internet explorer? With a toolbar? If you use a toolbar, try getting rid of it. Plus change your browser over to Mozilla's Firefox. I use it and the only popups that get through are ones I allow. I also periodically check with Adaware, CWSheredder (Browser hijack), Spybot S&D, and HijackTHIS! along with my McAfee Firewall and Norton 2K3.

Mark3Supraholic

Zero State
Mar 31, 2005
California
Try to keep track of what sites you visit when it pops up. I;ve had to MANUALLY remove tons of spyware before. The only thing that's led me to reformatting are corrupted programs that can't be repaired.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
#1: Have a Legitimate copy of Windows XP, so you can get all security updates.
#2: Use Mozilla Firefox as your web browser
#3: Use Spybot: Search and Destroy

This is all I need.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
hmmmm thats strange, i havent had to worry about spyware or unwanted popups since.....around 1998. i wonder what i did then to keep all these lame ass problems away....

ShagsSupra

Banned
Mar 30, 2005
Wilmington NC
7MGTEJoe said:
What browser are you using?

What spyware removal programs have you used?

What pop up blocker(s) are you using?

Spyware doctor, Spybot search and destroy, Pc Cillin, normal IE... Google toolbar for the popup blocker and yahoo for a 2nd popup blocker and Max Net Shield 4.2 for blocking popups and other stuff.

esc

WUM WUM!
Mar 30, 2005
Winston, NC
fire fox fire fox fire fox....is crap

I constantly use IE, I have the Google toolbar to block up pop ups. and I never get spyware, or popups anymore. It's not the browser it's the user going to all these random unsecure websites that Joe Schmoe made on his laptop in a strip club.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
Mozilla ownz joo. but Pc Cillen is a POS really. had it on my last comp and was useless. Get rid of the yahoo and google toolbar. Ad aware is my weapon of choice and works wonders. ub ti run mozilla now so no problems really :)

7MGTEJoe

Mar 31, 2005
Salinas, CA
Most popups are designed to take advantage of IE's weaknesses since it's the most common browser. Just switching to firefox or opera will clean up most pop up problems. Some folks don't like them but I suspect that they didn't bother to install the plug ins for animations and such.