hesitation and loss of power

suprana1990

Apr 4, 2005
NYC
hi everyone
my supra is having some major problem.
i have major power loss, idle is fine and timing is good.
when i give it gas it sputters a lot and engine shaking like a 7.5 on rec. scale earth quake. :cry:

i check timing, spark plugs and engine vaccum seem good.
but the engine is really shaky and i am lost on what do check or do.

if anyone can tell me what else to look for i am very grateful.

Last edited:

bandit

supra enthusiast
May 16, 2005
southeast missouri
a buddy of mine had a 240 that did the same thing.his had a cracked flywheel and a bwarped pully.dealer sayed flywheel being bad made the pully go, and if he hadnt got it fixed when he did, severe bottom end damage would have happened. well good luck on finding the problem and getting it fixed

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
Double and triple check that you've got the ignition wires on in the correct order. Also check for engine error codes. Any popping or backfiring when you rev it up?

suprana1990

Apr 4, 2005
NYC
yah i triple check the ignition wires, it started just yesterday morning.
it was fine before that, just started out of no where and i triple check for engine code, and it doesn't back fire when rev up.
the exhaust sounds funny though, it is like hiccuping the whole time, i will try to get a mini clip video and posted.

i took all the spark plugs out and clean them, 4 out of 6 where fine, 1 was wet, and one was full of carbon.

i got a set of ngk spark plug wires and it is labeled so no mistake, i will have to check the distrib. cap to see if any carbon pieces broke off.

when i rev, the car feel really sluggish it hesitate to reach the rpm 2000 and up range.

sorry i forgot to clear one thing up is the engine shakes like crazy at idle and sort of stop shaking as much when giving gas.
mistake on the first post.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
either theres codes that are you arent seeing...or its something VERY simple... this sounds like an afm or knock sensor problem to me..but BOTH of those would throw codes...

check that the cap and rotor are doing their jobs properly and go from there....

suprana1990

Apr 4, 2005
NYC
thanks for responding everyone

i just finish changing the cap and rotor for insurance and still having the same problem but less severe.
the plugs are new and plugs are good(less than 3000miles)

engine is still shaking, no engine code and afm is good.
knock sensor is rewired following the sogi method.

this problem just magically appeared after sitting for 2 days on the street and on thursday when the problem started it went away after 10 min. of revving and driving around the block. Then i proceeded to head over to a shopping mall and after i restarted the car when leaving the symptoms came back.

could a broken piston ring cause this kind of symptom?
i will have to run a cylinder pressure test this coming week.
will keep everyone posted.

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
With the car warmed up and running, take the oil filler cap off. If you notice a very distinct puffing of oil vapor coming out then it's possible your ring's are having issues. It's rather unlikely with a 7mge but it's possible.

suprana1990

Apr 4, 2005
NYC
so if i see oil vapor, my piston ring is done?
i think i been having that prob. for a while, most likely i am taking out the engine for a full rebuild from piston rings to all the bearings on the crank and piston.
can't seem to find a shop in NYC to do the engine work. i have to find a shop to clean up the head and reseat the valves.

i will bring the car to a shop to check it out.
i will keep u pplz posted on the problem.

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
No, if you see oil vapor coming out in puffs you could have a piston ring problem. If it comes out a steady stream it's probably not rings.

huntin5L

Mar 31, 2005
Niles, IL
Did you do the plugs recently? Probably not your issue, but i messed up and put two o-rings on one spark plug and it was misfiring. Don't ask me how i managed that i was tired. Never work on your cars after long days of work. You will end up f-inggg somthing up. I doubt it is your issue, but thought i would mention.

p.s don't mention it in the autolite thread i put in a while back where i badmouthed autolites :)

suprana1990

Apr 4, 2005
NYC
i check the plugs, 4 seem to look fine and two has slight problem.
number one spark plug was wet and the 4 or 5 one was kind of full of carbon(all cover with carbon deposite).
the plugs are less than 3k miles.
i don't know if it is okay to clean the plugs with a wire brush but that is what i did and scraped off all the crap.
if i am doing something wrong please let me know and i prob. will change the plugs to see if any changes with my problem.