Seems hesitant under WOT

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
hey guys, last night I took my car out for a few minutes (the 1st time after I had replaced the turbo elbow and some other stuff as well.) And it seems like it sputters the tiniest bit under WOT now, and I don't know whether to blame the ignition system (spark plug condition unknown) or another sensor that I have had off in the past couple weeks. What I have been doing is:

-remove and recalibrated TPS due to code 51.
-installed Apexi intake
-installed JBLMK3 turbo elbow to complete 3" turbo back (no cats)
-replaced vacuum hoses with HTS kit.

The sputter is small enough that you can't really feel the effects but it sounds less smooth then it used to be and the tach seems a bit shaky climbing upward. My car has a tiny exhaust leak at the turbo elbow when you plug the exhaust @ idle. Does my problem sound like an ignition problem? Boost leak? I'll check for codes soon to see if something else has failed. Thanks for the help!

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
I believe that if I had a boost leak it would probably be in the pipes that I had off correct? Intake manifold to fender was off when I did the TPS. The TB-intake mani gasket was slightly ripped in one layer of it, so when I put it back in I used a small bead of RTV sealant on it. I'll see if I can tighten any more.

Isn't the fuel filter like really hard to get to and change. Or is it more simple then I thought? What should I watch out for when changing it?

No error codes present.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
I didn't touch the plugs/wires at all, I only removed intake piping. IIRC, previous owner put NGK copper in it. I don't know specifically which model. Tomorrow I'll pull one out and see which one it is and what it looks like.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Well, tonight I just pulled one out (#1) and it looks like the engine is burning perfectly according to the plug condition. One thing I did notice though (and this could be normal) was that it took next to no effort to unscrew the plug. I basically took it out with my fingers on te wrench. Would that caue studdering if the plugs were too loose? Is 16ft/lbs still a good torque for them like cygnusx1 says?