speedo

bandit

supra enthusiast
May 16, 2005
southeast missouri
well i screwed up earlier today.i took the gauge cluster out to fix a problem and put it back in and didnt realize that the speedo cable didnt line up in the socket right and itgot bent and twisted. how much does a new one cost and is it hard to put a new one in?

88SupraTurbo

Apr 17, 2005
i did the exact same thing on my 88t... cost me 129$can. straight from toyota but no where else could get them in so that was my only option. As for the installation its not very hard at all, only took about 30mins to get it all back together.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
its a rather grueling process.
the metal bracing behind the dash is sharp, rusty, and painful.
post a WTB in the for sale/wanted section for an upper cable in good condition. i did it before like that and got an extremely low mileage one for a good price. a verrrry good price. ask around. we have a lot of extra shit laying around. we all drive the same car. as far as doing it, it unclips from it's little "seat" behind the gauge cluster. just snaps out of there. from there, you must go under the car and there's a short cable it joins to @ the transmission. remove it at the short cable, leaving the short one in the transmission. then, go up to the engine bay and remove the grommet holding it in the firewall.

NOW!!!! most important part.
its a bitch to try to aim it through the under-dash mess to feed the new one into the engine bay. so..... before you remove the old one, tie a good length of string to the end of it. as you pull it through the dash, it'll leave some string behind, and out the hole. untie the string from the old, and tie to the new. go into your engine bay and pull the string. the cable should come through peacefully.

re-attach all and be careful lining up the cluster.

bandit

supra enthusiast
May 16, 2005
southeast missouri
can anyone tell me where it comes through the firewall at? sorry to sound so dumb, but i almost cut my thumb off and i cant move around under the car good enough to see and i dont see it under the hood by the steering colum anywhere?