car dies!

lilazni3uoy

AEM Powered
Apr 1, 2005
NoRCaL and SoCaL
www.cardomain.com
well ok i got my car finally back on the road doign the 5 speed swap, well ok, just to start off when i'm doing like 55 on 5th i drop the clutch pedal all the way to the floor and put it on Neutral and i look at my rpm gauge it drops all the way to 0 and my lights come up battery etc but i can put it back in any gera and just give a lil gas it will come back to life, but then it's really irratating me i'm guessing it's the vacume lines on the throttle body! cuase i used a 5 speed throttle body from another engine off my spare car, before it ran it did the same aback on that spare supra, and now i put it on my new engine and did the 5 speed swap, can u guys give me a definate answer that it is the vacume line!? cuase there was a leak i fixed that but i'm not sure!! i do still kind of hear air coming out of those vacume lines i just want to be 100% sure thanks guys!

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
Change out the throttle body first because you know that one is giving you problems right.

Mine did similar things but it was electrical.

M

MisterTurbineTwister

You should also use the dashpot from the 5 speed intake. Follow the 5 speed vacuum setup exactly and get a new throttle body from another 5 speed car. Otherwise you're just inheriting the problems from the other car.

Make sure that your Idle Speed Control Valve and Throttle Position Sensors are clean and working properly, or you will notice idle problems. The dashpot will prevent the RPM level from falling on your tachometer inbetween shifts momentarily while you release the throttle when shifting.

The only way to detect vacuum leaks is to buy a vacuum diagnostic gauge and read what your normal vacuum numbers are supposed to be at certain RPM levels and throttle positions and changes. You can actually use a vacuum gauge to detect quite a few problems with a vehicles running charactaristics depending on what the vacuum gauge tells you. You can get one for about $12.00 at http://www.harborfreight.com

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Also you might wanna make sure your HKS BOV is adjusted right. The same thing can happen if it's not. But, yeah check the vacume hose layout in the FAQ section, to make sure every thing is hooked up right.

lilazni3uoy

AEM Powered
Apr 1, 2005
NoRCaL and SoCaL
www.cardomain.com
ok guys thanks for the info i will check it out well my friend said the tb on the auto and manual is diff he said i'm better off with the tb from the 5 speed, i dono it maybe but now or times i am so scared to just step the clutch pedal all the way now i slowly step on it so that it wont' die out well cause i also did a new motor swap so i mean minus well right? give it a shot should i just use the auto tb?!

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
I checked the TSRM and there doesn’t seem to be any differences between the throttle bodies on the manual cars, and the throttle bodies on automatic cars. There’s a difference in the linkages, but not the throttle bodies themselves. The only time there is a difference, is between the 7M-GE and the 7M-GTE engines. So put the throttle body you had on originally back on there, give your friend a swift kick for making you do extra work, and let us know if the problem is resolved.

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
TPS, throttle position sensor.

Mine is going out and regularly stalls the motor after a WOT run it happens when i press in the clutch...the motor stalls out....weird....

But when i cleaned the TPS male/female ends it idles smoother and has decreased the stalling epedemic about 1/4 the time. :icon_excl

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
I assume that iono = I don't know. But, no, you’re not the only one. I had to read it a few time before I felt confident enough in what he said, so that I could respond.