how a solenoid works???

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
i have a spray bar and i have a tank.....i also have a line for it.....but i want a solenoid in line to have the spray operated by a button.

i scalped a stocker solenoid from my friends 300ZX.....nooow, the question is how does this bad boy work?? not hooked up i can blow thru it, although it seams like i can blow thru one way easier than the other but deffinatlly both ways.

havn't tried applying 12V+ yet but it has two wires[black and white] i assume the black is grd.

any thoughts, advice.....etc.

i was reading a website about this and found i have a ahhh....something kind of solenoid it is missing the NO or NC barb anyway mine works so that is it open without power[blows thru right now] and i can only assume[i'll check with the battery] that when power is applied it will close.

this should be good because with the car on the system should be closed and allow me to open the bottle and charge the line upto the solenoid which will be fired at the touch of a momentary switch. also when the car is turned off[bottle should already be closed] if it is not done manually the system will purge itself automaticlly because the solenoid will be opened without power

soooooooo........i will need to use an acc. power so that it gets nothing without a key and 12V+ with the key. also i will need a momentary that inturupts power...........not bridges two wires. will radio shack have a momentary like this?? or will i need a momentary and have to set it up with a relay too?? if that is the case i will deffinatlly need help.

sorry for the long post it's two from another website :icon_frow

john

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
thats basiclly what i was saying

jester1341 said:
was reading a website about this and found i have a ahhh....something kind of solenoid it is missing the NO or NC barb anyway mine works so that is it open without power[blows thru right now] and i can only assume[i'll check with the battery] that when power is applied it will close

sorry if i sound like i dunno what i'm talking about.....cuz i kinda don't ;)

anyway so i will probably just use a toggle instead of a momentary. but as far as everything is set it should work fine right??

john

could i use a momentary or would i need to set up a relay??

Last edited:

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
I think that a NC [normally closed] solenoid would be better... NO [normally open] means you would always need power to keep it closed. This means that if you apply a constant 12v to it to make sure it is closed, it will drain the battery. Hook it up to 12v switched and it's going to spray and drain when you shut the car off.
With a normally closed solenoid, you could hook it up to a switch to open it, and that would be the only time that it would use any power.

NO sounds like a no-no, unless you like to spend cash on compressed gas or batteries.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
The other downside to NO is when it's off it might siphon and drain the water tank.

It depends on what size solenoid you run if you need a relay or not, I always run them as it removes the load from the switch and wiring.

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
i'm not using water i strated earlier i was using CO2

i also said that the system would 'auto-purge' because of the normally open setup

i have a manual shut off at the bottle, but i would rather a NC, any good info on where to get one....or just search and check in a salvage yard?

john