cams for 7mgte

Alpinesupra

Cars never talk back
Apr 6, 2005
mckinney, tx
i am just really curiouse but are there or were there cams made for the 7mgte engine? from like hks or any other carrier. and if there are/were do they really make a difference?
-sean

M

MisterTurbineTwister

I don't know off hand of any aftermarket camshafts made for these engines. There may have been some, but you don't need it.

Something that some people don't know about turbochargers is that they hate high overlap (high duration) camshafts that have a rough idle. The pulsation in the exhaust caused from the overlap creates inconsistant exhaust flow through the turbo's exhaust turbine and can cause it to surge and do all kinds of stupid things.

Generally, the valves and camshafts in these cars are simply left alone. Some may polish the ports in the head or port the exhaust manifold or go to a tubular manifold to the turbo, but these camshafts can support 700hp engines. The most anyone will do is go with an N/A exhaust camshaft for it's higher lift, but I have yet to see any flow difference numbers posted here between the N/A and turbo exhaust camshaft. The N/A and turbo intake camshafts are the same measurments.

Bigger camshafts just aren't needed in these engines to make more power.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
MisterTurbineTwister said:
Bigger camshafts just aren't needed in these engines to make more power.

NO...why dont you ask manny akim if aftermarket camshafts arent worth the money.... :rolleyes:

there are a few aftermarket cams made...Gude, Toda, and HKS all made sets...also the Turbo A cams...however good luck finding any of them in worthwhile condition...and if you DO...have fun paying close to or over a grand for them...

BUT if you can get some they ARE worth it...the powerband is exponentially increased.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
MKIIINA said:

not a problem joe... for those who dont have SF access...heres the basic rundown of mannys dyno experiences:

Went to dyno the car last night 4/8/05

My old dyno run w/o cams

SAE: 524rwhp 493rwtq @1.8 bar (26psi)

Uncorrected: 541rwhp 509rwtq

New Dyno run w/ cams

SAE: 543rwhp 537rwtq @1.7 bar (24psi)

Uncorrected: 565rwhp 557rwtq

Webcam Specs:

Valve Lash: .008 intake .010 exh
Valve Lift: .322 intake .322 exh
Duration: 244 degrees intake 244 degrees exh
Duration @ .050: 218 degrees intake 218 degrees exh
Lobe Center: 107 degrees intake 115 degrees exh

Intake opens @ 2 degrees before TDC
Exhaust opens @ 44 degrees before TDC

Intake closes @ 36 degrees after TDC
Exhaust closes @ -6 degree's after TDC

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
IJ. said:
Thanks for posting that Jayson!

My new cams are a bit bigger so it's nice to know I haven't wasted the cash on them! ;)

IJ what brand will you be using? or is it a regrind of the stockers?

yeah it seems that manny picked up 20ish hp at 2psi less boost! also the dyno sheet curve is VERY smooth..so its obviously still streetable...

DEFIANT 7M

101MM stroke of INSANITY!
Mar 30, 2005
Nashville/Miami
http://www.webcamshafts.com/toyota-auto.html#6

I had a set of cams reground a year or so ago by Schinder Cams here are the specs. They were a very good price about $250 for the set, but that was a year ago. They were not what I ordered, I turned around and sold them to a friend of mine. Who has yet to put them in the damn car :rant2: Most regrinds require lash caps http://www.shopcranecams.com/valvelashcaps1.html A good friend of mine Erin Carpenter had a set of Schinders' some years back in his white MKIII at Powerfest. He made 430 rwhp @ 21 psi with a blown headgasket. The specs were 274 duration and 320 lift, intake/exhaust.

Intake
addvertised duration 290 @ .335 lift (@.050 248 duration)

Exhaust
addvertised duration 300 @ .335 lift (@.050 256 duration)

Lobe separation-112
Degree Intake Lobe to 110

Last edited:

Alpinesupra

Cars never talk back
Apr 6, 2005
mckinney, tx
nice didnt think i would get so many responses about this, thanks everyone.

ok next question of mine, i want to make a little over 600rwhp a little later on. should i go with aftermarket cams or no? what do you think?
-sean