I/c sprayer using headlight washers

YoNkErS87t

streetside mechanic
Mar 31, 2005
In the Garage
Has anybody used there Headlight washers as a manual I/c sprayer. Sort of like the mitsubishi Evo's. I haven't done it yet, but plan on doing it in the next week or so.

All you would have to do is reroute the sprayers and cut/splice the washer button to go on when the headlights weren't up.

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
I believe someone on here did a write-up on how to make an intercooler spray kit. I want to say it was outofstep, but I could be wrong. In either case, a sprayer may be nice to have on those hot days.

SidewayzSupra

Mar 30, 2005
Puyallup
Sounds like a bad ass idea I can't believe I never thought about that. Just think too if you keep your window washer fluid in you'll be cleaning off your intercooler too haha :icon_smil let us know how it turns out. Later-T

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
um.. i've seen this done before....

super street. probably 03 sometime. follow dave colemans buildup of his s13 and you'll find it in there. he did that with the windshield washer? i'm not sure. he did it though, and reported good things about it.

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
I did it with the stock headlight sprayers -- really easy, especially if you just have spray it with the headlights up (no need for extra wiring that way).

I did get yelled at on the dragstrip for spraying on the line. Apparently it sprays a fair amount of water and dripping in the staging area is a definite no-no

turbomk3

Apr 1, 2005
i need a link on how to wire one of these up. i bought a windsheild thing to use a while ago and i want to put it on before it becomes summer...any links would be nice...

Z

ztosupra

this sounds like an awesome idea. one thing though, a windsheild washer nozzle doesn't spray a fine mist does it? it would be more effective if a mist was sprayed across the core than a single stream right? but whatever, still better than nothing. i say do it!

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
ztosupra said:
this sounds like an awesome idea. one thing though, a windsheild washer nozzle doesn't spray a fine mist does it? it would be more effective if a mist was sprayed across the core than a single stream right? but whatever, still better than nothing. i say do it!

I just used the plumbing to the headlight washer, and adapted some garden sprayer hose to fit. If you have a canadian model, or 87-88 w/ headlight sprayers, it really is an easy ~30min modification.

If you wanted to use the windsheild sprayer, you'd probably need to find a way to cancel the switch that turns the windsheild wipers on.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Jeff: You could use the rear screen washer as it'll squirt without the wiper coming on ;).

My turbo supplier mentioned this the last time I was there that they had a customer car with a too small IC that picked up 30 HP with a water spray.

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
IJ. said:
Jeff: You could use the rear screen washer as it'll squirt without the wiper coming on ;).

My turbo supplier mentioned this the last time I was there that they had a customer car with a too small IC that picked up 30 HP with a water spray.

^good idea. I never used the rear sprayer anyway, and it has its own separate switch...

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
does anyone have real number on this, i just can't see water cooling the IC 'that' much. i know it will cool it especially once your moving, but i'm going to be using CO2[hasn't been filled yet]

sumone should dyno and then dyno after they spray[maybe once with the dyno fan and once with a little help...ie more air across IC] that way we can see how much this helps the mkiii

john

7MGTEJoe

Mar 31, 2005
Salinas, CA
jester1341 said:
does anyone have real number on this, i just can't see water cooling the IC 'that' much. i know it will cool it especially once your moving, but i'm going to be using CO2[hasn't been filled yet]

sumone should dyno and then dyno after they spray[maybe once with the dyno fan and once with a little help...ie more air across IC] that way we can see how much this helps the mkiii

john

Water cooling isn't going to show up very well in a relative cool dyno cell with limited airflow over the water unless you're seriously overworking the intercooler. If you heated your dyno cell up to 105* and ran your turbo at the upper limits of its efficiency on a small intercooler you'd see a big gain with a water spray. Most people don't try to tune an engine in that environment for good reason so we probably won't see much in the way of significant gains.

Where a water spray will shine is on a hot day at speed. If they did their homework the intercooler should be sized correctly so it works fine at more normal temperatures. But on a hot summer day the intercooler won't be able to shed heat very well on it's own since the temperature difference between the air charge and ambient air is smaller. The great thing about water is its high specific heat, it can absorb lots of heat without changing it's temperature very much. This makes it a great heat sink, even if it's only a few degrees cooler than the air charge inside of the intercooler. With a water spray you're relying on a high specific heat and to a lesser degree, its latent heat of vaporization. Basically what it's doing is helping you maintain high output when the intercooler is pushed out of its range.

Now with a cryogenic cooler like CO2 the specific heat is very similar to air, instead you're relying on the huge temperature difference. With a gas that cold you could drop the temperature of the charge below ambient temperature; a very different animal than using water to help you approach ambient temperature. Now if you were really crafty you'd use a fine spray of water before using the CO2, leaving a small amount of ice on the intercooler. Getting too aggressive with the water could be bad (expansion) but a fine spray frozen to the surface would stretch the effectiveness of the gas. Think air/water intercooler with ice in it...

encomiast

boosted kraut
Mar 31, 2005
germany
hmmm, very interesting. but how about using something evaporating more easily than water and thus dissipating heat? would that be feasible?

I guess an intercooler won't like CO2 too much, since it would exert quite some stress on the material, wouldn't it?

Boostedstr8six

I have better SA than you
Mar 30, 2005
Near Columbia, the river
I'd say plain old H2O would be just fine. A lot of liquids that evaporate faster than water are usually flammable and/or corrosive to aluminum. Water is great for increasing IC efficiency (EVO anyone?). Cheap, very simple, and effective. CO2 is great but is more costly and a little more complex to set up and use. The water mist/co2 combo is a cool idea though.

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
i never thought about using water AND CO2... as for the CO2 working over the IC there was a thread about this i believe on here before the hack[i'll search for it but i dont think it's on here :(] anyway the out come was that the CO2 will ruin my IC no more than driving the car would since the temp change isn't very drastic. some one suggested using refrigerant in that thread and that is were we got into it spliting the IC because then you get into extreme sub zero temps![talk about surpasing ambient]

i have the head light sprayers so i might look into that idea since my CO2 sprayer is all but done.

expense.... i dunno how long it will last but i have a 20oz bottle and that will cost only a few dollars to fill

john

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Dunno about you guys but my 88 has a seperate button on the dash for headlight washers..just to the right of the ignition. Once I get a better intercooler and have stuff worked out for me, like I said years ago before I got my Supra I'm going to do this. The finest mist you can get would be the best because the water would be in "smaller chunks", thus evaporate quicker and disapate heat faster.

Another example of how Home Depot Racing gets its name :D:D:D

CO2? yeah, that'd be cool, lots cheaper and easier to find a place to fill up as opposed to N2O, but still not worth it in the long run. Water is practically free and works fine enough.

I'm sure with how crappy our FMICs are, there are surprising gains from it