forged pistons, cost of labor?

greg88

May 14, 2005
Lowell, Arkansas, United States
I recently ordered lots of parts to make my car go fast (headgasket, hp freaks stage1 turbo kit, new I/C, AVC-R, SAFC-II, etc.)

According to 7mpower.com, forged oversized pistons and rings are necessary when approaching 500hp.

Is this really necessary (60,000 miles on car)? Is the price of labor gonna be astronomical? I've only got $3,500 left!

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Labour can be bad, but also pretty fair. My Je pistons will cost nothing in labour, except for the fee to push the new pins in and remove the old ones. Everything else you can do yourself. If you want the machinist to put the new cylinders in your engien aswell, that's when you might run into high problems. I feel that the whole wrist pin job tho is around $50-$100, and if you do it yourself like I will be in 2 weeks, then you can save a shit load. One thing bud, why didn't you get a larger turbo kit if you still got $3500? :icon_wink
I would have gone with the recently released hpf full turbo kit and gotten the sp67 trim turbo.
eric

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Stretch: Do you have pressed pin rods?

Stock it should be full floating with clips.

To the original Q: It depends on if you need it to be bored+honed or just honed, this depends on what size pistons you bought and what condition the bores are in either way it's not that expensive.

(should really check the condition/size of the bores before ordering)

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I didn't mention anything about the boring. :biglaugh: It cost me $40 per cylinder to bore the size out to 20 thousanths over, since that's the size I got my JE's in. Your machine bill will start to add up if you do all that jazz, mine included hot tank oil pan and media blasting it, along with crank polish, media blast crank pulley, frost plug replacement, decking head, oil drive bearing replacement. It all comes out to around 500-600 Canadian. I've been told it's a good deal. So really, if your just replacing the stock pistons, and they are still in good condition and your cylinders are not overly mis-shapen, then honing will probably be the only cost. Plus machining the head of course :icon_cool .
eric