"Supras Turbos don't spool"

RTA Supra

MA70 Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2005
Tampa, FL
So I went to go test drive a 92 Turbo auto yesterday. The car looked ok, but needed a bit of tlc especially paint. I turn the car on and it purrs at 800rpm at idle. I go to turn onto the street and notice it's hard as hell to excellerate. Once I get on the road I get on it a little bit but the boost gauge isn't moving at all. The car is running sluggish as all hell! I then turn onto a major road and get on it again. No boost whatsoever. after about 5 mins of driving and trying to see what else was wrong, I pulled back into the lot. I leave the motor running and pop the hood. When I open it I see smoke and hear a loud vaccuum leak. The line from the BOV was blown apart where it goes back into the valve cover. The whole time I drove the car, by the way, one of the guys that work there was with me. So after seeing all this I go inside to talk to them about things we found wrong with the car. I say "I couldn't get any boost at all" and before I could finish telling him about the leak another employee says, "Those Supra Turbo's don't spool. It's a problem they have with the way they have the exhaust" as soon as he said that I look at Jay (IdealSupra) and he looks at me like wtf. The guy I was actually dealing with steps in and tells him to basically shut the fuck up lol. Just thought I'd share that :p

S

ShouLinPanther

wow, they dont spool, are you serious, what a special guy

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
god, i've delt with morons like that, like when i bought my 1st rotary and the guy told me plenty of pepl say they don't last long. i of course am like well the NA's are alot more reliable than most pepl think...........he cuts in and says ahhh yeah yeah...i mean i've seen several go well past 300K and have no problems

heh.....

john

RTA Supra

MA70 Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2005
Tampa, FL
Sorry Figgie, but thanks for moving it!
Yeah, after we left, I told Jay that we should go back with his car and say "Yeah I have this problem...everytime I excellerate I boost and this wierd pssshhhh sound comes out"

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
He's a salesman, what do you expect???

I once had a salesman tell me that the VW beetle 2.0L model produced 200 HP. :eek:

I said really? He said yeah they're pretty fast!

I left the lot immediatly.

Spiv

hooligan
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando, Fl
I've been told an S2000 does low 13's out of the box. They'lle tell you anything if they think you'll sign for the car.

MA70Supra88

Boostless
Mar 31, 2005
Boerne, TX
Yet another reason to hate salesmen. I had a guy trying to sell me a modded 87 turbo that had absolutely no idea about anything on the car. It was advertised as "2Fast2Furious, can beat any car on the road." I got my jollies out of a test drive and then ran away as fast as I could.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
haha yeah eli that was some funny shit...

dont worry man..we will find you another one soon ;) that one just wasnt for you...

and neither was the rod knocked, hood flew up and cracked the windhsield and damaged itself and the targa, paint fading 3900 dollar NA :rolleyes:

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
i drove an oldsmobile once (for shits) and the guy said it was "turbosuper charged" I was like "oh really? can you point out where the turbo and supercharger are?" he just waved his hand over the engine and said "right over there"

88turboma71

el3men2
Mar 30, 2005
nyc
i remember when i bought my car the guy said it was smoking a little, i drove the thing i could not see thorough the rear glass there was so smoke. the return line from the turbo to the oil pan was crimped

T

toyota_supra_1988

hahahah ive delt with idiots before, i had one guy tell me every supra has rod knock, and it is not a problem..and wont affect the engine, its just a noise lol and i was like ya ok buddy..

Lurch

You rang?
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxvegas
One salesman told me that a Focus SVT I was looking at was supercharged, and that the supercharger would raise my insurance, so why not buy this new Taurus that has been on the lot for a year?

I told him that I wasn't so sure about that, as I backed away quickly...

I H-A-T-E salesmen.

RTA Supra

MA70 Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2005
Tampa, FL
On the same day, I went to look at a 90 NA Targa 5spd, and it had Rod knock from all hell. The guy said, "yeah, it sounds llike it just needs a timing belt"

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
DrakeMK3 said:
This is why I deal private party. So much eaiser to scrape away the bullshit.

sooooo true, it's not that often you run into a reg. joe blow supra owner that tells you the smoke is a side effect of running low on JDM turn signal fluid, or that compressor surge is just some high dollar bling bling BOV that was added to the car

:mega eyeroll:

john

P.S. it should be quite fair game to lie to salesmen about what you and his wife did last night :D

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
Ckanderson said:
i drove an oldsmobile once (for shits) and the guy said it was "turbosuper charged" I was like "oh really? can you point out where the turbo and supercharger are?" he just waved his hand over the engine and said "right over there"

well.....turbosupercharger is what they used to call turbos.........but I still doubt it had a turbo..... ;)

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
heh, about 3 nights ago this kid in my town comes up to me asking me to race. i was in my '71 chevy c-10. he wanted me to get the supra. he has a late model 1.8T golf w/ an upgraded turbo, chipped, lwfw, intake, exhaust, and upgraded wastegate. he revved at idle, and the wastegate opened.

first thought to my head. "hmm.. that turbo is probably as big around as my pinky..." ::thoughts trail off::

anyways, i told him my supra had a blown tranny. he then proceeded to ask me to trade cars with him because "supras are pieces of crap, they never run right and the turbos never last" and he "wanted a supra to toy around with"

the catch was (i didnt even consider trading, for the record) i would have had to take over the $14K loan. either way, i wouldnt have taken it.

i was like, "dude, on my stock turbo with a downpipe and intake i'll smoke you, its not even worth it" he laughed at me, and then went out in the street and revved at this bone stock celica alltrac, to which he quickly lost. haha.

needless to say he didnt come back and talk shit about my car, or admit to losing to a stock alltrac. heh, some people. theres a couple of kids who ask me to trade for their rice rockets all the time (the "pimped" out hondas) saying that their book value is more. they try to sell me their cars sayin they're faster. sigh... they'll never learn.

-shaeff

L

lanky189

73 Celica's don't spool either... don't feel bad.

I like to play dumb around salesmen.. then come back and lay down the law.
I did this once while pricing an NA parts car... it was trashed.. both front fenders destroyed... oilly coolant, ripped interior and no drivers door handle...

the wanted 1200 cuz it "ran and drove great" there were a few catches, not to mention the high price
1. It had been sold twice before and returned to the lot
2. It had been returned becuase it had no title.

So, after hearing there little la la dream land speech. I showd up in my 87 with the top off and my TT running... Had just been waxed..washed.. etc..it was so fun to drive that..anywho.. i hop out of the car.. walk up to the woman. and proceed to explain all the work the car will take to be roadworthy..and the title search expenses..

I did the math and explained how the car would cost me 2400 total to make a road worthy vehicle..not including buy in.
Then offered her 200 bucks to drive it home and never come back with it...

She had the balls to laugh at me.. I said "well thank you for your time, good luck getting some poor sap to keep that pile of shit off your lot, if you wise up call me, ::handed her my card:: turned and got in mine.. then as I was getting onto the highway from the lot....i let it eat 1st gear to peices... and then..into second..hardly used the clutch..and lots of tire smoke blowin back at her.

Last I heard the car was crushed......stupid woman.