Vpc

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
I just got my VPC... would those of you who've been running this system take a look at what I purchased and make sure everything's there, and looks okay?

www.bouscal.net/images/vpc

also, does anyone have a pinout of what wires are what coming off the harness heading to the ECU... part of the reason i only paid 375 for it was that there was no harness... oh well, as long as I figure out what wire's what also, what do I set the dip switches for?

_ justin

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
Looks right. Strange your intake air temp sensor looks to be a much smaller thread then mine was.

Personally I think the money HKS wants for the VPC ECU harness is worth every penny. It allows you to tap into the HKS harness instead of tapping into your stock wiring harness. Second you don't have to worry about the AFM resistor and all the wiring mess.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
Bishop92t said:
Looks right. Strange your intake air temp sensor looks to be a much smaller thread then mine was.

Personally I think the money HKS wants for the VPC ECU harness is worth every penny. It allows you to tap into the HKS harness instead of tapping into your stock wiring harness. Second you don't have to worry about the AFM resistor and all the wiring mess.

That is strange :dunno: I wonder why...

I didn't nkow HKS still offered those, and I agree 100%, definatly worth the money, BUT my harness is all hacked to hell due to the zt2/e01/eManage being installed so I probally wont' go that route...

what's this about an AFM resistor?

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
Yup, can still buy the VPC harness brand new, 86.5-88 or 89-92. My harness was also hacked up, but I've already started to repair it.

You must install a certain resistor in the harness for the VPC to work properly. It's application specific, so HKS just built it into the VPC ECU harness. If you search you can find out the what/where/why about it.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
awww shiet... :)

Damn I should have bought that guy's who was selling the harness for 100 bucks...

Thanks Bishop, you don't knwo where I could find that info? For some reason I'm no good at searching. Seriously. I try. never works

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
Go onto supraforums, search for "VPC install". Somewhere you'll find instructions. I've also seen instructions on someones website, Larry Anderson or Alan Jordan maybe, neither of which I have links to anymore.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
I have some instructions, they're not very good and they don't list colors or anything... I'll have to make a write up like you did for the eManage, if I don't get the harness

500 pages of 20 posts per page :p

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
Strange again, mine had no threaded plug. The sensor itself was 1/8npt.

Speaking of intake temp sensor, I've seen some of the DSM guys not even use it. They just plug it in and leave it dangling in the engine bay.

90gsx

I have a dsm and mine is tapped into the throttle body elbow. All dsms dont suck and some are faster than you think.

MK3Racer89

May 11, 2005
well i just bought my vpc and i was going to buy my harness from HKS but they discountinued it so i was screwed until one of my friends had one for sale. i got lucky, but i know wiring it up from the ecu is hard.

R

Rczop2

Bishop,
I was considering using a vpc with my rebic lc on my 90 if this is possible. Can you tell me if it is?

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
I just bought a VPC harness from HKS about 2 months ago. Came direct from HKS.

Rczop2 yes, however I'm not sure how you would wire it up. One thing I do know is you would need this order VPC to Rebic to ECU. Really the VPC should be universal with any other piggyback computer, you just need to put it furthest away from the ECU in terms of the electronics chain.

R

Rczop2

Bishop,
Thanks for the response. That's going to be my next upgrade.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
90gsx said:
I have a dsm and mine is tapped into the throttle body elbow. All dsms dont suck and some are faster than you think.

I'd hate to swerve away from the topic at hand, but where in this thread did someone say that DSMs suck? :nuts:

Instead of a VPC harness from HKS, can you just buy one from AAP? They have had some for sale, might be cheaper than HK$ [while being the same or better quality possibly]?