Stock sound system?

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Few questions spread throughout the post(in bold)... appreciate the help...

The other day i was cleaning out my car and noticed some loose plugs under the passenger side seat. After a little research i found out that they were for the stock amp. Did all 89T supras come with this amp?

Would it be worth sourcing down a stock amp for the system or would it make no difference?

As far as my current setup... I havent pulled anything apart but I assume that all of my speakers are stock or some shitty knockoff brand... because they pop and vibrate and sound like ass. i am running an aftermarket headunit.

Since my current system sounds like crap I was thinking about replacing all 6(?) speakers with some "cheap" 2 or 3 ways speakers maybe combined with a new stock amp if you guys think it will make a difference.

What sizes do i need to pick up? Honestly I'm not into modding to try to fit bigger sizes and so on... I just want something that will sound good compared to the stock sound system from 1972... and i want it to be as straight a swap as possible.

feel free to make some suggestions based upon your setup... I'm not going with a sub at this point yet... The car is waaaaaay too slow to be worrying about that right now.

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
AFAIK the external amps came around 1990. It's a pretty weak amp, somewhere in the 15-20watt per channel range. I've heard it doesn't work well with aftermarket decks, I myself removed the stock radio and amp a couple days after I bought the car so I couldn't say with certainty. If your aftermarket deck is decent it will power the stock speakers pretty easy.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the 2 middle speakers, they are a non-standard small size and hard to get to. 4" up front for 1989 and 5.25" should fit in the rear. Alot of that depends on what 5.25" you are trying to fit though, you'll need to measure to be sure or prepare to do some mild trimming. Or you could just go straight to 4" all around.

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Yeah i forget what exactly my deck is but it is an extremely decent piece.(certainly expensive :) ) If that is the case then i'll just forget about the amp.

Thanks

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
Yeah,wiring up a stock amp let alone the insufficient power that it will provide is totally worthless.If your current deck provides good power,(30 watts per channel on up) i'd just stick with that for now.
Did you wire it in to the stock harness?If so,all you speakers should be working,and now it's just a question of replacing them.The factory ones are crap,and the replacement ones are up to you as far as price and maker.I personally replaced all front speakers with Audiobahn,(2 6.5 mids and 4 tweeters) and replaced the rear seat shoulder pod speakers with a set of 4" OZ's.

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Wow thanks for including the pics... and making me not want to touch the rear speakers haha... Did the mk3 ever come with a sub woofer of some sort?

I was thinking about doing tweeters but i really suck at this whole sound thing so i i'll probably just go with direct replacements. How exactly do you wire the tweeters up? Just splice off the existing front speaker?

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Did the mk3 ever come with a sub woofer of some sort?

I believe so, but I've never seen one.

The external amp was under the passenger seat starting in 89, the CD-player units used it. The amp is also interchangable with a lot of newer Toyota amps, and some of them are quite powerful.

There was also an external amp used on 88's, but it was mounted underneath a single-DIN head unit in the dash, I've only seen this once, but it's listed in the EPC. :)

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
I HOPE he didn't splice off the existing speaker wire. That's really bad. Not only does it drain power from the main speaker, the wiring isn't correct. If you're going to power more speakers than your headunit has outputs for, get an external amp.

If you want a high quality sound stage, use only front components. Rear components are mostly used as a "fill". Something to take up the sound in the rear. Go on over to either
Ecoustics.com
or
CarAudioCentral.com

They'll hook you up for some sound advice if you don't want to listen to me.

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
91-92 got a subwoofer option. Extremely rare and I've never seen it. Supposedly it's dual 6.5" or 8" in a box in the hatch. It's called the 10 speaker system, while the regular 91-92's got the 8 speaker system.

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
8?
2 tweeters in front
2 front door speakers
2 speakers behind doors
2 rear speakers?

Just a guess, Im a bit new to the technicalities of Supras. I've liked them for quite some time, but just now getting into the small details of research :)