Which 1 ... ?

S

subskit

hello im new to the whole supra / turbo scene...

i am looking at getting my first turbo car the cars that i am deciding between are the
1. 88' Supra mkIII turbo manual
2. 89' 300zx twin turbo auto
3. 89' r32 gts-t turbo manual

i am after a quick turbo car as i wish to mod the engine and run quick 1/4 mile times...

i know this is a supra forum but pls dont b baised 2 the supra over the nissans.... just say which 1 you would recommend for a quik car + looks

thanks lots :D :wavey:

Anomili

Obsessed
Apr 9, 2005
In an Igloo
www.cardomain.com
Well the fact is we are all going to be biased... but in as much of a objective opinion as I can give, I would say that the turbo manual Supra is your best bet. The 300zx is nice, but it has an auto tranny and no one likes those. As for the r32... I'd still take a supra over it, but that is just me.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
Of the 3 I would also say the Supra.
Depending on where you live the r32 could be hard to find parts for and when you do find them...be prepared to pay through the nose.
The 300zx ehh auto. I dont know much about those but I believe the Supra will have a bigger aftermarket.
Its a Supra! Let us know whichever one you decide!

I<3Supras

Drft What do u mean drft?
Mar 31, 2005
Southern, Ca
i would say the 88 turbo because the mkIII is the cheapest to buy out of all those stock and probably cheaper to upgrade then the 300zx or the R32 skyline.

rpk2012

F' LHD
Apr 4, 2005
Lubbock, Tx
The Supra, unless you live in Japan..... Then the R32. BTW - please put at least the state/province you live so people know how to answer questions as such.

L

lanky189

wow....

how can you ask us not to be biased? its SUPRAMANIA.com not completely unbiased opinnions from people who happen to drive a supra.com..

nobody can decide this for you.. research alot..read consumer reports...do searches for chronic ailments of each car etc.... learn about them...then YOU decide..

ShagsSupra

Banned
Mar 30, 2005
Wilmington NC
Go for the others over the supra... so we dont have you around here, STALOWNED

;) lol I dono up to you man your gonna get biased opions unless your at a forum where just these 3 cars named go.

also I may be wrong but I dont think the Z32 TT came out till 90.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
well heh another biased user i geuss,

the supra well i beet a 90 300z turbo and its prettier than that

if you have the $$ then go for the skyline, i beleive its 4wd??? correct me please, if its low miles and good condition the skyline, shit i would if i had the $$ to keep buying oversees parts. up to you, if you just wanna make a 1/4 mile car get teh supra, if you wanna drive this year round the skyline.

my dos centavos.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
It's hard for me to comment on the other cars because I don't have them. For 1/4 times I'm not sure on the weight of the 300zx,but the Supra, and the R32 are tanks. The 300zx, from what I hear is a pain to work on because of the small engine compartment. Plus it's auto, what fun is that :). The Supra I enjoy working on(when compared to other cars I've worked on). With the R32 your going to have fun sourcing and paying for OEM and aftermarket parts. The Supra is (initially) cheaper to get in to, responds well to upgrades, and has an Awesome community like this to support it :D But like was said before, it's hard to get an unbiased opinion. I say Supra.

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
Everybody keeps bashing on the auto...I LOVE my auto. Maybe I am weird, but I love that feeling of continuous boost, not boost...shift...boost...shift. Sometimes on twisties I wouldn't mind a manual, but most of the time I love how my car feels. When I race against manual cars I get an even better chance to pull ahead while they are mucking about through the gates with NO power going to the wheels. I believe he said he wants to put down good 1/4 mile times. For drag racing auto is the way to go, especially with a turbo.

I know the only auto he was talking about was the 300zx. I don't know what their auto trannies are like, but as for the Supras the A340 is a wonderfull auto.

In picking cars, the 300zx has a tiny engine bay but great looks, the Skyline is a sweet car with no parts support over here (unfortunately), the Supra is also beautiful, not to hard to work on, and can make great power. I must also play the biased card. What can I say, I love Supras, but the other cars are sweet as well.

NATAN666

yarrrrr
Apr 4, 2005
BC
user.dccnet.com
mucking abotu through the gates.... right.. wel you obviously cant drive standard well, and neither can anyone you race. it literally takes me as much time as an auto uses to shift... and you guys do maintain boost pressure, but since we're still at least 4k rpm, we stil have boost pressure as well..

back on topic.. there is no such thing as an 89 300zx twin turbo unless it was an EARLY 90's model, or its a japanese import. either way the supra and the skyline have the most potential, the skyline would be overall better in the long run in terms of rarity, speed, and attention.. the supra is much more functional, but can be almost as fast.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
1st pick skyline if u have the cash
2nd supra over skyline if you dont have the cash
3rd 300zx i almost got one of these glad i got the supra.

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
NATAN666 said:
mucking abotu through the gates.... right.. wel you obviously cant drive standard well, and neither can anyone you race. it literally takes me as much time as an auto uses to shift... and you guys do maintain boost pressure, but since we're still at least 4k rpm, we stil have boost pressure as well..

You're right...I can't drive a manual all that well, but the times I was refering to I wasn't the one driving. I know manuals can be shifted fast, but when it comes down to straight line go, an auto is the best. Unless an auto is broken it won't miss gears, burn clutches, ect.....If he wants a car for drag racing auto is just fine. I'm just tired of people always bashing on autos. Both trannies have their strong points, we can both fess up to that.

NATAN666

yarrrrr
Apr 4, 2005
BC
user.dccnet.com
no. the auto transmission that comes stock in a supra is not one that the notion "auto is best" applies to. "auto is best" refers to race built, high powered transmissions. i can shift faster than your stock auto, because its a piece of shit.. even in a straight line, i will beat you.

sorry to sound like a dick, but i just mean to say that stock for stock, a manual is still faster than an auto.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
NATAN666 said:
no. the auto transmission that comes stock in a supra is not one that the notion "auto is best" applies to. "auto is best" refers to race built, high powered transmissions. i can shift faster than your stock auto, because its a piece of shit.. even in a straight line, i will beat you.

sorry to sound like a dick, but i just mean to say that stock for stock, a manual is still faster than an auto.
yep and better gas mileage too.:doublebir

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
Look, I plan on either going with a full built A340 w/suprastick controller or doing a built GM th400 transmission swap with a gearvendors OD on it. Either of those transmissions will shift very fast. The a340 isn't junk, you want to talk about a junk tranny, drive a Ford. Have you ever driven an auto Supra? And you can't say that stock for stock manual is faster becasue it is inconsistant. Your average driver will not be able to pound through the gears as fast as an auto. Judging by your sig my car will be the one winning at the moment because it runs. You have an opinion, I have one too. I don't think one tranny is better, or one is the lesser, they hold a balance. I love manual, I love auto, they are both great. I prefer auto, you prefer manual, great, let's leave it that way and stop this stupid bickering. After all, don't we both own Supras, so what's the big deal?

NATAN666

yarrrrr
Apr 4, 2005
BC
user.dccnet.com
ok you are over reacting. i tried to avoid this getting into a silly argument. i was talking about the stock supra tranny, not any other transmission. i'm fully aware that a well designed and crafted sequential automatic transmission will kick the shit out of any human shifted transmission.