Why is there Jerking???

grimace65

Apr 3, 2005
so cal
dude my car was jerking and then i put a badass rebuilt motor and its still JERKING. i tried 3 different afm so i dont think its the afm. is the tps sensor? anyone know why my car is jerking so much in every gear?

grimace65

Apr 3, 2005
so cal
yeah codes said it was tps adjustment or replace it. so i think i shall replace. for now i didnt connect the tps and now no jerking

MERCiLESS

Can someone tell me what the TPS is for? I am experiencing what I assume to be the same jerking that grimace was experiencing and I want to disconnect the TPS as well to see what happens but don't want to do anything I'll regret.

Yes Yes I will check the error codes if any but for now..

Thanks in advance.
The 88 T Virgin.

MERCiLESS

Well I disconnected the TPS and the car seemed to run better for a while. I don't have tags so I couldn't take it out much for a real test but it actually drove better than it did the day before. Engine still idles horribly and I'm definitely experiencing a loss of pressure so I'll wait for my buddy to get here from NY to help me out or take it to a mechanic I heard about today while working on the car.

THanks for the feedback dirgle,

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
If you got a code 51 the TPS probably just needs adjustment. If you got code 41 the TPS is probably bad. Most of the time the TPS just needs a quick adjustment.

MERCiLESS

Bishop, I tried runnign the diagnostic but only got a continous blinking engine light. Was not able to pull any codes, I've been trying to find a post where someone was experiencing the same problem but couldn't. Any ideas?

kntmikado

Rage Your Dream...
Apr 2, 2005
East Troy, WI 53120
Hmmmm... at really low speeds, like coming to or leaving a stop, my supra seems to jerk a little bit.. is that how the problem is for anyone else?

I know my rear 2 cylinders are probably not firing (explained below), so the engine's not as self-balancing as it should be.. although at the same time I'm not sure if that'd do it or not.

*grumbles about cam cover gaskets and oil and previous owners who didn't tighten spark plugs properly*

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
this jerking is coming from your fuel injector im almost positive. have u replaced them and does the jerking go away after 10-15mins or driving. same problem with my car, i put fuel injector cleaner in it and it runs fine till the stuff is gone, then the jerking returns, im going to get my injectors cleaned soon but im pretty sure thats what it is.

vanman

May 22, 2005
Fayetteville, AR
So a code 51 is most likely the TPS? Thats what I was guessing, my car is throwing me that one and 52, which I feel is more serious so I am fixing that one first, but anyway, could that be caused by a loose throttle cable? My cable is really loose, is there anyway to adjust it? I couldnt seem to find a way.

grimace65

Apr 3, 2005
so cal
i fixed the jerking!!! it was the tps. i replaced the tps and it was stopped but we were messing with the afm and now i think its not functioning properly.