act clutch problem

lilazni3uoy

AEM Powered
Apr 1, 2005
NoRCaL and SoCaL
www.cardomain.com
alright me and my friend are doing a auto-5 speed tranny swap, it's a 89 supra turbo i had a spare supra it was junked up but the transmission was still good we took all the parts ok as we got done doing the motor and tranny swap i was ready to go home and the sucker won't get in gear!? any idea's?! i have a act street clutch heavy duty pressure plate and a fidanza flywheel, we checked the clutch plate it's installed right, bled it a lot of times, new master/slave cydlinders still no good!? anyidea's!? and also adjustted the pedals and i'ts still not working :icon_ques

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
Car won't go into gear when running but will go into gear while the car is off?

Offhand I'd say the clutch disc is in backwards or you've got a hydraulic issue. Take the inspection cover plates off and make sure the slave cylinder is pushing the fork in sufficiently. Also try putting it in gear with the clutch pedal at different heights.

lilazni3uoy

AEM Powered
Apr 1, 2005
NoRCaL and SoCaL
www.cardomain.com
when the car is running well we thought it was the plate but it's installed right, well we changed the master/slave cylinders out it's still acting up!? iono it looks like it only moved like 1/2 inch i dono it's just really weird it just wont' get in there

Last edited:

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
Clutch disc only needs to move a little to grab and let go.

Which way did you face the bulge in the clutch disc when you installed it?

lilazni3uoy

AEM Powered
Apr 1, 2005
NoRCaL and SoCaL
www.cardomain.com
well the clutch is installed right, i called some act tech guys they said my fidanza flywheel might be the problem since i mentioned that it is a little bit bigger than the stock? but i don't think it should affect the outcome of not letting me get in gear should it?! man this thing is getting very fustrating!!!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I remember back on the old Forum DrJ (I think) posted about a batch of aftermarket Flywheels that had been machined to the wrong specs....

Don't take this as gospel though I'm old and forgetful so it could be dud info.

lilazni3uoy

AEM Powered
Apr 1, 2005
NoRCaL and SoCaL
www.cardomain.com
hehee yeah, man this clutch instalationg is just fustrating me and my friend haha cause we also did a motor swap, and a 5 speed, motor runs good, but clutch acting very weird we changed out everything and it's still no good man very fustrating, i was in a very happy mood to get this thing done now it's like in a very bad mood since the sucker wont' go in gear man

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I just reread the whole thread and as no one has mentioned it if the Step on the FW is out of spec that could cause it to not go into gear.

Another thing to check would be the pushrod in the slave cylinder.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
OK that rules them out!

Just had a look through the TRSM as I'm not familier with the GTE Pull clutch and nothing really stands out as a simple fix.

You didn't leave the auto crank spacer between the flywheel and crank did you?

lilazni3uoy

AEM Powered
Apr 1, 2005
NoRCaL and SoCaL
www.cardomain.com
i put in the pilot baring new throw out baring to onto the new act heavy duty pressure plate i have no idea man this thing is really fustrating :nono: i don't know whats going on, well my buddy says when he's under there when i step on the pedal all the way the slave cylinder moves a very bit same with the presure plate