Car won't crank but backfires

csr ma71

rooftop sniper
Apr 2, 2005
bay area
www.angelfire.com
So the Supra won't start. I hear it crank like it's trying to but then nothing happens. Occasionally a backfire will happen but it still won't start. Sometimes when that backfire happens I smell fuel. I hear a metallic click type of sound like a sword being sharpened, but that's the extent of it. I don't hear the starter "ca ca ca" sound, the key is in the ignition and when I let go, I hear the metallic sound. It's been like this on and off for two years but this time it doesn't start even after a few hours left alone. Now it has a code 12.

I already rewired the CPS in the right configuration. Battery, starter is good. Any ideas? Thank you. 1988 Turbo.

Last edited:

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
possibly CPS is out 180 degrees. Backfire is caused by lean condition, muffler explosion is caused by rich condition. I dont know what code 12 is but TSRM can help you on that.

~scott

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
Code 12 is intermittant power to the ECU.
I had your exact symptoms after I installed an engine.
Turned out that the CPS was installed 180 off. When I got the CPS worked out the car started up. I checked and rechecked all the grounds and that solved the code 12.

So I would start with some simple stuff, do you have spark? gas?
if so recheck the ECU and timing.

-Steve